Oliver + S

Opinion: dress up Jump Rope for Easter or other special occasion?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • LINK
    PreemieMomma @PreemieMomma

Do you think Jump Rope A is too casual to be made as an Easter dress? I was thinking of using Alexander Henry’s Royal Ballet fabric and doing a 3/4 sleeve. I’d originally bought the Fairy Tale dress pattern to make for Easter but I have very little uninterrupted sewing time so I thought I’d rather stick to a pattern I’m comfortable with rather than a new one that may be a little more daunting. What do you think – is Jump Rope view A too casual or can it look nice for a special occasion like Easter?

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

If you stick to the simplest version – no collar, no sleeves – Fairy Tale is much easier than jump rope. The instructions are really really well written, so if you feel comfortable making Jump Rope, you really will be fine to make the Fairy Tale dress too. I don’t really envision Jump Rope as an Easter dress. To me, a shirt dress is more like a school day dress. But people do Easter in lots of different ways, so it’s really about what you want. After a long winter of snow boots and parkas, I like to finally wear some seriously pretty stuff. šŸ™‚

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

As much as I love sewing a new pattern, if I know I’m under pressure I would rather use one I know well. I suppose the question is “what make it an Easter dress for you?” premmiemomma. Is it colour, style formalness? Could you make the jump rope dress A but add more fullness to the skirt, like use the full width of fabric? Maybe instead of adding the keepers for the belt catch it directly into the side seams and maybe widen it so you have a bigger bow.

But if you’re happy with it make it as is for Easter šŸ™‚

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I would say go for it! I have seen very lovely Jump rope dresses that would work great for any special occasion.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I think fabric choice is your friend here.

I adore the Jumprope but definitely associate it with a play dress, and Melanie is right, the Fairy Tale is a solid but well detailed sew.

And of course, there are the new patterns…..

Ultimately, what ever you make will be loved.

LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

I have to agree here too…but then I may lack vision b/c my girl wears the jumprope for school uniform dresses. The fairytale without the frills may be quicker than you think compared to the jumprope.

Also, I’m not sure what size you are sewing for and what other patterns you have….

I find the bubble dress to be a fairly simple/quick pattern to make for a lovely result. And, then the roller-skate is a little casual but about as quick as it gets.

Good luck! Whatever you decide will be lovely I’m sure!

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

For me, Jumprope would be too casual; but Easter is a time for very dressy dresses in this house. I know others who don’t feel that way, though šŸ™‚

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I agree with Nicole in that the fabric can make or break the dress. How will the weather be, where you are? Easter is generally pretty hot, here, and I’m not religious, so I’d just make whatever I thought would look cute with a chocolate bunny. If you’ll be going to church and wearing little white lace gloves and white patent mary janes, you may want a skirt with some pouf to complete the whole look. In a cooler climate where the child would also be wearing a little wool coat or something, I’d also go for a dressier look to match.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Oh, little gloves! My grandmother used to give me little gloves to wear. So sweet. And I used to have hats too.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Sigh, a little white hat and a knitted cardigan to go with it, and cuffed socks with a lace border…

LINK
    theknittinganxiety @theknittinganxiety

Check this one

http://www.bonpoint.com/pt/span-span-68269.html

Would this work as an easter dress for you? I’m with Nicole about the fabric, but I definitly would change the sleeves and belt and pockets. I think view B would be much easier to adapt with a great fabric.

For me, as I am do not have very advanced skill I think is easier to sew a new pattern with well written instructions than to adapt other, but that is me.

LINK

Wow, so many great responses! I’ve given it some thought after reading and rereading your responses and I’ve come to realize that I don’t usually go with very dressy dresses for Easter or other holidays for that matter so I think if I go with the jump rope, I may do some of the adaptations mentioned here and dress it up with cute shoes and bobbie socks! Thank you for all the feedback and great ideas.

LINK
    Rpankow @excytin

PreemieMomma:

I agree with the other ladies where it depends on your choice of fabrics and how you adapt the pattern. For kicks I ended up doing a search and saw this lovely adaptation of the jump rope:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/justsewjenna/8468504504/

I say if you have the pattern figured out and possibly the correct size ready to go, go for it! Good luck and happy sewing!

-Rebecca

LINK

I did a search in the flickr pool for “Easter dresses” and got a ton of results. Only a few jump rope dresses but it gave me an idea of how it may look dressed up. A lot of people did the family reunion pattern, which I hadn’t considered! I struggled with that pattern the one and only time I made it but I know now where I made my mistake (on the hem facing) so that pattern is an option too. Little Goodall posted a coat and dress on their facebook page and the dress is somewhat similar to the jump rope dress and has cute puffy sleeves.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=643650129034511&set=pcb.643651562367701&type=1&theater

I really just need to make a decision and get to it…yes, I’m always this indecisive about everything! šŸ™‚

LINK

Okay, I decided to do the jump rope and if it ends up looking too casual, I still have time to make another dress. I love how the 5 fits on my dd right now but she has trouble getting into it (she has broad shoulders) so I think I’m going to make it a size 6 and shorten it. I’ll add some fullness to the skirt, as per one of the suggestions here…do 3/4 length sleeves…no pockets and I haven’t decided on the belt yet, whether to widen it and attach into the side seams or go with the usual belt.

In the flickr pool, CallMeRuth did a jump rope with a really cute ruffle at the placket and she said she lined the skirt to add fullness so I may copy these ideas as well!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/callmeruth/4833000217/

I have a dress I want to finish in the next couple of nights then I’ll start on this right away just in case I decide I hate it for an Easter dress. Guess I better print out the fairy tale pattern pieces so I’ll be prepared if I decide to move on to that one! LOL

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.