Oliver + S

Online shopping, iPads and SECURITY!

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • LINK
    juliamom2009 @juliamom2009

I was thinking about this thread the other day when I got my mail….

A couple of months ago, my bank account with my debit card got hacked. Nothing permanently damaged, just a pain in the butt for several weeks while things got cleared up. The bank told me they had no idea how it happened, but that it may have been random hackers looking at card numbers and PINs. I hadn’t done any recent on-line shopping with my debit card (because I mainly use Paypal) so I didn’t that that was it.

Well, this week I got a letter from an on-line fabric company – maybe some of you have received it also – saying that their database had got hacked into a couple of months prior that contained stored card numbers. Well, duh, this is most likely how my info got stolen…..I guess I hadn’t thought about on-line companies actually storing my payment info from the past. Now, I hate to think of how many on-line spots I’ve allowed to store my info and the possibility of it being compromised…..

Well, now this company is offering a 30% discount, a fat quarter bundle, then a $10 gift card to make up for their security issue. I’d imagine this breach was very costly for the company as well….

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Yes I got an email from them also but sincerely cannot remember storing my details with anyone. I would be a huge back pedal for any business that experiences this first hand I think. Paypal is the omly place I can think of that has stored information. I have even removed my details from itunes as they have a reputation for hackers – I just use the vouchers you can buy now but even that is a mystery, you sit there and watch your account balance shrink! They are terrible for sending out account balance statements and receipts etc.

The one thing I have against paypal is the difference in their charges as opposed to the exchange – we have to pay more through paypal. It is like having a surcharge on top of the purchase but I understand that is how they themselves keep going.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Interesting, I got the letter from Fabric Depot (not an email) and it offers the discount from an online order, but their website says they are not accepting online orders. It’s the same ‘we’re fixing it – give us two weeks’ notice that was up the last time I looked at their sit, more than two weeks ago. Has anybody placed an order and used the discount?

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

No I actually deleted the email thinking it was bogus – will have to fish it out again!

LINK
    LucyM @LucyM

I received the same letter, concluded that that shop was the source of the recent hacking of my account, and decided against their offer for the time being. The wound is still fresh.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.