Oliver + S

#oliverandsmashup Challenge. Reveal February 5, 2016

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Hi All,

So I think we’ve settled on a new challenge.

Details:

Reveal date: Feburary 5, 2016 Because end of year craziness and you have PLENTY of time to brainstorm, plan, and execute.

“Rules”: Mash-up one or more O +S pattern. Because we are so “rule” bound over here! 🙂

FAQ: Can I use non O+S? Sure… but the idea is that it is substantially O+S. So my McCall’s dress with jumprope pockets isn’t really an O+S mashup. But my jumprope with library sleeves is!

What qualifies as a mash up? I think the idea is that we beg, borrow, and steal various elements from various patterns to create something uniquely ours. Pockets? Check. Sleeves? Check? Plackets? Check. Hem facings? Check. Pleats or Pintucks? Check. Any elements or all elements! As a rule, I think a good way to ask yourself is this a mash-up is if you can identify the elements of the garment from different patterns. Not all elements must be O+S. 🙂

Go crazy- just do little touches- the extent of the mashup is up to you.

Isn’t this just customization?- We–ellllll, yes and no. Sure you are customizing, but the idea is we steal from other patterns instead of drafting our own mods- e.g., steal a pocket pattern rather than draft and add your own.

As always, we are open to other “rules”/ modifications of the rules. I am not the final arbiter, just a scribe who starts the threads!

Also, any old flickr photos that qualify? Tag them. #oliverandsmashup Why not? We know many of you/us have done this already and it will be inspiration! The tags also help everyone get to see your work!

Anything else?

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

This will be a good challenge for me. I’m not really a masher upper and I don’t know why, I always like the results other folks get quite a bit.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I’m looking forward to seeing what you come up with Sarvi – haven’t seen your sewing alot lately so it will be nice to see how you mash things up.

I have a few ideas but have to get kcw out of the way first.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

This is my bread and butter! 🙂
    Happily it may be the push I need to redo my all time favourite pattern mash in a new, bigger size. It was the back if the After School pants on modified front of the Field Trip. I made about five pairs in the end…

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

If we’re tagging old photos I’d better go and tag half my photos 🙂
    Do we put the tag in the “tag” section of the photo on flicker or just in the comments?

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

Does something we just made count? Like the dress I made here on my blog, it’s my favorite O+S mash up so far!

http://sweetpeaandpumkins.blogspot.com/2015/09/whimsical-make-it-mine-challenge.html

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Sharon absolutely!

Heidi Is guess in the tag section?

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

I think @lightningmcstitch will do the round up. Where is it most easily searchable for a tag??

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

When I searched the pool for monochrome, they only come up if it’s in the tag box. Easy to do from a pc but phone uploads perhaps not so?
    More than half of the images were found by trawling the the Flickr pool as they didn’t appear in search results.
    Rachel and i were talking about doing it as a link party and that’s heaps easier. That way YOU do the uploading. It’s incredible how much time it takes to do something as simple as a blog post sometimes!

LINK

Ok,I think it’s fairly easy to add it to the “tag” section using the phone app.

LINK
    Rachel Le Grand @nestfullofeggs

Thanks for starting the mash-up challenge, I can’t wait to see what everyone creates! The black and white challenge was a huge success, everyone did a fantastic job!

In early January we will put a linky party up on the blog for the mash-up challenge, closing it February 5th. It will be a nice gathering place for all of the mash-up creations and the round-up will automatically be done for us.

And in the meantime, we currently have a little ‘challenge’ of sorts. There is a linky party for 2015 holiday wear and pajamas until January 5th: https://oliverands.com/community/blog/2015/10/2015-holiday-wear-and-pajamas-linky-party.html

Is there anyone who would be interested in starting a new thread for talking about 2015 holiday wear/pajamas to go along with the linky party? That might be fun…

LINK

I’ve just traced off a mash up of the lullaby layette bodysuit with the top of the badminton top!
    I’ve also made changes to the class picnic top to make a beautiful dress 🙂

LINK
    Rachel Le Grand @nestfullofeggs

Hello everyone! If all goes as planned we will have the pattern mash-up linky party up on the blog Tuesday January 5th, look out for it then!

LINK

I’m working on a badminton skirt with the skirt part replaced by a pieced and pleated floor lengthy skirt to mimic the skirt from Anna’s coronation dress. And I now have the fabric to make the class picnic/garden party/swingers dress too 🙂
    Maybe the next challenge could be an embelishment challenge. I’m thinking of all the embellished messenger bags I’ve been making!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Love the idea of an embellishment challenge.

I have plenty of mash up ideas. They are just stuck in my head for now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.