Oliver + S

Oliver + S appreciation

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I was thinking about this earlier today, and aside from all the stuff we usually talk about — the fine finishes, the quality of instruction, etc. — the thing that really makes O+S stand out to me is the eye for proportion. With the exception of adding a small amount of length to get extra months of wear from patterns I know will work that way (as my friend Johanna once observed of little ones, they grow up before they grow out) almost every change I’ve made that has altered the proportions or silhouette of an O+S pattern has made it look worse, and I’ve regretted it.

I’ve noticed this problem with a lot of knitting patterns, too. Big gaping because the designer didn’t account for Huge Headed Toddler Syndrome. Yes, their heads are huge, but their necks and shoulders are tiny. If handknits for small children don’t look like the neck opening is too small, they’ll fall off their shoulders once they’re on.

I think this is why I’m still holding out for the O+S blazer of my dreams. It won’t have that funky oversized lapel and the gaping collar that won’t wrap and lay nicely.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I completely agree Sarvi.

I made a Ice Cream dress for Tildy, for Christmas, and I added length. I *almost* added too much and spoilt the line.
    I definitely made the pockets too low.

I can sew, but pattern drafting is way way out of my league. I will leave that to Liesl.

A blazer, what a good idea 😉

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Nicole.
    LINK
    Kerrilyn @Kerrilyn

I love how they have this forum: a wealth of information but also caring, encouragement and humour!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

It’s funny, I add length with reckless abandon and I never worry about ruining the style lines, but I am not unhappy with any of the ones I add length to. In fact I more often get frustrated when I haven’t added length and it’s a couple of inches short but fits in the width 🙂
    I love the way the patterns ALWAYS fit together well. I never have to fudge it, or worry it won’t fit together and it will fit the recipient according to the size charts! I love the way the instructions are spot on. I often choose to do things in a slightly different order but regularly incorporate things I have learnt from one pattern to another.

These things are why even if there may be a closer pattern out there I prefer to start with an Oliver and S pattern to make my (and the kids!) imagination creations 🙂

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Oh, you’re all so lovely. Thank you. It means a lot to me that you say this.

And yes, I think maybe it’s time to tackle that blazer you’ve all been requesting for such a long time now. I’ll see what I can do between the other projects I’ve got going on!

LINK
    Robin @Robin

Ok, so in my head I’ve started shopping for blazer fabric. Wool for the first one, some corduroy, velvet, denim, seersucker, tweed with leather patches… It’s going to be fun.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Did everybody hear that? That was me popping a bottle of champagne — I have some wool and silk tweed I’ve been saving for this since 2011, no joke!

LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

Could you hear my squeal from here? Liesl said blazer! Definitely one of my dream patterns.

LINK
    juliamom2009 @juliamom2009

OMG Liesl – I was in Nordstrom today and saw a women’s blazer that I really liked and was looking all over the construction to see if I could possibly hack something together – I was considering taking photos of it but thought that would be kinda weird. ..I am so excited! Oh yes, and thanks!!!

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Yippee from all the way over here…

LINK
    EmilyG @EmilyG

I love my O&S patterns. I am almost afraid to sew with others. I know every time an O&S pattern will work and it will fit. And given my disdain for muslins, I try to stay away from patterns where I am not guaranteed a good for.

That said, I would so love to tackle a blazer under Liesl’s direction.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Uh oh… Liesl can’t back down now! LOL

I stopped sewing with other patterns. I just can’t hack the missing instructions or the poor finishes. I also prefer the clean lines of O+S.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I have a wedding to go to in June and two boys who need blazers. I’m ready and waiting. 🙂

It is very good to know that a pattern will go together without a hitch and that the drafting is reliable. So many things can go wrong with a project that it’s nice to know the pattern itself won’t.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I bet there are a lot of existing projects on the tracks already, so I’ve found myself a nice comfy seat on the Blazer Train, now there’s a light at the end of the tunnel, to keep the metaphor consistent for once in my life.

LINK
    katybellabug @katybellabug

Oh Liesl, please please keep that promise. I have always wanted to tackle a blazer. Just with your instructions.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.