Oliver + S

New here!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • LINK
    ditherdither @ditherdither

Hi,

My name is Kate, and I’ve been lurking on these forums for a little while, and decided I should just suck it up and say hello!

I’m pretty new to sewing. I got a machine for Christmas last year (along with a new baby!), and I spent most of my maternity leave learning how to sew. (She’s a very chill baby, being #3).

Not too long after I found several Oliver + S patterns on ebay, and then these forums, and my obsession began….I can’t believe how much I’ve learned just from sewing these patterns, and from the posts here. I’d always wanted to learn to sew, but I always felt so intimidated by most patterns. Now, I think I spend most of my days thinking about sewing and fabric. šŸ™‚

Anyways, I just wanted to introduce myself!

PS — I also posted a few pictures of some dresses on the flickr site. As with most of my sewing, there is at least one major mistake in each dress, so please be forgiving!

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

Welcome! I’m a relative newcomer myself – I just started sewing Oliver+S this past winter. I have also learned SO much and my sewing confidence has skyrocketed. People often say that the patterns are like little sewing lessons and I totally agree. I think I saw your dresses – a PLaydate, Apple Picking and Family Reunion? Very cute. I sympathize on the picky toddler front … my 3-year-old doesn’t like to wear most of what I make šŸ™

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

Welcome! It’s great to meet you!

I have been around for a bit over a year. I was sewing before I started with Oliver + S but boy have I came a long way since I started sewing with O+S! These patterns are so wonderful for teaching great sewing skills. I am sewing things I never thought I could before.

~Sharon~

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Oh, aren’t 3rd babies the best? I just adore my baby girl! And sewing is ever so much more fun with a girl in the house. Welcome!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Welcome Kate,the only problem with learning to sew with oliver+s is that you shall be thoroughly spoilt for any other brand.

I have been sewing for 25 years and I cannot believe how polished my sewing has become in the last 3 years since finding oliver+s patterns. (I don’t mean to sound like a tosser,apologies if I do)

They are truly a delight,as is this wonderful forum of girls(+Todd)

~Nicole~

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Hi Kate and welcome

I was having a little look at the photos you uploaded on the Flickr page and I must say that for a beginning sewist, you are doing quite fine.

You will enjoy working with Oliver and s patterns because they are so thorough in explanation and if you get stuck, just yell and we’ll help out as best we can.

I think this forum is one of the most positive and encouraging places to go and ask for help or just chat about your latest project – I’ve been on here since about April last year and have found heaps of things to talk about sewing wise with others and have picked up a few new tips along the way.

We are global too which is also good as you get to learn a few new things that way also – shopping specials etc and if there is international shipping!

So welcome once again.

Tamara

LINK
    katybellabug @katybellabug

Hi Kate,

I started sewing with O+S in April this year and instantly hit upon an obsession! I agree with all the above about the sewing instructions, they are so helpful and perfectly executed. I used to give up quite easily with other patterns and I now feel that what I have learnt from O+S sewing will get me through where I didn’t understand before.

Even those patterns that I didn’t think I would buy have crept into my collection. The Sunday Brunch I avoided for a long time but damn that flickr pool for making me see how fabulous the pattern is! I adore it now.

I love the fact that the flickr pool and this forum connects people from all over the world and helps us to bounce ideas off each other. I have had some really good advice off people and some really appreciated feedback.

Enjoy sewing for your little ones!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Welcome Kate,

Glad you found Oliver and S, they are the best patterns.

Fantastic to see your work in the flicker group.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Hi Kate! Glad you joined us. New baby + new machine sounds like a perfect pair of presents. I was brand-new not so long ago and remember being totally daunted by the curved bodice of the Tea Party dress, and remember when I finally started getting the hang of it — now it feels like one of the ‘easy’ patterns (though I still don’t ever make one without a few tucks, darn it!) Believe me, we all make mistakes, it’s just that our own look glaring to us and we rarely notice other people’s.

LINK
    beachmom @beachmom

Hi Kate! Welcome to the Oliver + S group. Can’t wait to see and hear more from you.:)

Cindy

LINK
    ditherdither @ditherdither

Thanks so much for the warm welcome!

The Flickr group has also made me fall in love with patterns I initially had no interest in. When I first saw the apple picking dress, I didn’t think I’d ever buy it. It ‘wasn’t my style.’ So much for that! Now I love it. And the same for the Sunday Brunch. I still haven’t bought it, but seeing all of those cute jackets….now I HAVE to have it.

I’m also glad to see I’m not the only one who always gets tucks in the Tea Party dress. It was my first O + S pattern, and I’ve made 5 now. (a bit obsessive, I know! for a beginner sewist, I’ve put in a lot of hours at the machine). But they all have tucks around the bodice! Still such a great pattern, though.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.