Oliver + S

Need Help picking out fabric!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Linen seems pretty indestructible to me, and even though babies don’t weigh much, what jiggly precious cargo they are. Sigh! Some many new babies around here and more on the way. Heavenly! I think linen would be strong, soft, and cool, but without being so slippery as voile. Silk seems it would be even more slippery, no?

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Disclaimer: I haven’t made one and don’t know, I’m just asking, not advising.

LINK
    vothgirl @vothgirl

I really like my linen sling – it’s a medium-weight linen, and I went for the classic flax linen color with only a little contrast embroidery near the pleats on the rings. I don’t know whether the silk would be slippery, I know it has great tensile strength. And dupioni has texture to it so it would probably stay put. I’d have to ask my sister how she likes hers, tho she’s used it for 2 babies now so it must work pretty well ;-). But you really can’t go wrong with linen – I’d choose the same again.

Now to find out if my second baby likes the sling more than my first did…

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

It looks an awful lot like athletic wicking jersey….the kind used in athletic wear and cloth swim diapers! I know my Joann’s and fabric shops sell it….so it seems fairly easy to come across.

(and random….love my Ergo! We still drag it around with us when we visit the city and know we won’t be home until late….so if kidlet crashes…..we don’t have Jello Arms!! M just turned 5 and she’s a waif at 36 pounds! We used it last night coming home from the MLB baseball game!)

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Does anyone know of a stockist of coated denim? It looks like this http://www.sportscraft.com.au/Ivy-Skinny-Jeans/9344961414881,default,pd.html

Zara is super keen for a pair of jeans made from it, preferably black or dark navy.

Thank you!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Mommy2maria, whats the ergo baby like in really hot weather though.mdoes baby sweat in it alot. I have a baby carrier but found my first two hated it when it got hot and I think it was better for tinier babies. I am thinking of passing it on to my friend (the one who is expecting number 4 and got rid of all her gear). If the ergo works well in really hot weather I think I’d like to try one and because it deals with babies who are older/ heavier it might help. I will be out and about with this one on the farm alot more than the others so I need something that is comfortable for baby and myself.

Looks like a notoriously difficult fabric to source Nicole. I hope you get to find some. Having said that though, try this link https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/185775019/navy-denim-with-a-wax-coat-by-the-yard?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product_listing_promoted_en_au&utm_campaign=supplies_low

Hope its a step in the right direction.

LINK
    vothgirl @vothgirl

@justsewit, the original ergo (what I have) can get pretty toasty for you & baby in really warm weather, particularly if you’re using it with a newborn and require the infant insert for a good fit. I plan to use my linen sling for the hottest part of the summer here in California. However, for ease of use and back comfort, the ergo can’t be beat. If you need one suitable for use in hot weather, perhaps consider the performance version: http://m.ergobaby.com/baby-carrier/performance-collection/ergobaby-performance-baby-carriers?child=BCPVENGRBLKNL

It’s got a vented mesh back to allow better circulation, but has the same weight capacity (45lbs/20kg) as the original version. something to consider anyway :-). I love my ergo and am looking forward to many adventures and excursions using it!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Tamara, get an Ergo Baby! Particularly with this baby who will need to be very portable with the farm and older siblings and you’ll probably use it for 3 years or so. The Ergo dose require in insert for about 4 to 6m of age, basically until they can hold their head up, and it’s quite thik, but very supportive. It may be better with something else for the first few months and then transition to the Ergo once they can hold their head up. The one above dose look great for hot weather 🙂

Here’s a link to someone using one of the ergo Ventus carrier. http://goingdad.wordpress.com/2014/05/01/going-reviews-the-ergobaby-ventus-performance-carrier/

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

It’s worth considering even if it would be toasty you don’t have to clothe baby though because it would be warm enough true? I will put this on the list to investigate. Thanks ladies.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

In summer in WA? An ergo would certainly be warm enough! Especially with the infant insert. The insert and some of the Ergo carriers are made with lovely cotton fabric and and cotton filling/wadding. When you are looking to but check out the Babes In Arms website as they often have some on special. These are the same people who do the Breeze Baby sling Sharon was asking about. Website http://www.babesinarms.com.au/ergobaby/ergo-collections-1

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Another vote for the greatest thing in the world, the Ergo. They’re so durable, I’d snap up a used one if you can find one locally.

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

Tamara, I have had an Ergo, a Moby, a Beco and a mei tai – the mei tai, not being padded, was the coolest for hot weather, though not as comfy as my Ergo or Beco.

LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

I’m with Nicole, Sharon. I’d be nervous making a carrier for someone else’s babe.

I had a Moby, Beco, and a me-made mei tai. My mei tai was by far the most comfortable for me and baby in our humid Florida heat. I lined it with minky and would load my baby up in a diaper only. It was super soft and wicked any moisture away from his skin. Though, I agree the ease of use out and about of the Beco is better.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Nicole, coated denim is a nightmare to sew! It’s really sticky and gums up your machine. Last winter I coated a pair of jeans that I purchased, and I used ordinary Barbour Thornproof Dressing wax for them. It didn’t look as shiny as I had hoped, but it definitely works! Use a lot of it and take advantage of the hair drier to get a nice, even finish. The advantage to coating after the jeans are sewn is that is saves your machine (and your sanity) and it looks more vintage/worn in. I tried Otter wax, but I wasn’t impressed with the finish: disappeared when I hit it with the hair drier, despite a very heavy application. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzMpoBhdN-g

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

That is very interesting information there Liesl.

Here’s a link to get you off and running Nicole – http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Barbour%20Thornproof%20dressing%2040ml&_itemId=221214506452.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.