Oliver + S

Narrowing the body and sleeves

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • LINK
    Enbee @Enbee

I’m going to make a PJ top from this pattern – right now my son fits well into the 18-24mo size as a shirt, but it’s a little roomier than his RTW PJ tops. I was thinking I’d try to match the fit of my favorite of his current pajamas, which would involve making the body of the shirt narrower by about 3/4 in (the sleeves are also more close-fitting). However, the shoulder of this particular top is as wide as the 18-24mo School Bus tee. So I don’t want to do a straight size down. Can I use the 18-24mo shoulder width, but then narrow the sides of the shirt under the armscye to the 12-18mo width, and then use the 12-18mo armscye and sleeves?

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

To achieve that, I would cut the exact same size again, but sew the side/sleeve seam with a bigger seam allowance.
    An extra 1/4″ seam allowance will take 1/2 an inch off the sleeve circumference and a full inch off the chest/body.
    Saves on retracing the pattern in another size.

LINK
    Enbee @Enbee

Genius! This is why I post things here – you guys have all the best tricks, by which I mean a boatload more sewing experience than me.

(Incidentally, I’m totally taking your advice on my question about the FT Cargoes just as soon as the fabric I ordered for them gets here.)

LINK
    Enbee @Enbee

This advice worked perfectly – thanks!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.