Oliver + S

My First O + S pattern!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • LINK
    hokiekate @hokiekate

I just finished my first try at Oliver + S. I made two coordinating jumpers for my two daughters.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pcampbell/8517902235/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pcampbell/8519013384/in/photostream/

I’ve admired the pattern for years, but I only recently took the plunge and bought a few. I am mostly happy with how they turned out. I was very careful with my measurements, but the dresses fit like a glove and I was hoping for a little more room to grow. Lesson learned. I am also super proud with my first buttonholes on a garment. I am less proud about how I can see the transfer lines in yellow wax showing through the fabric if I look closely. Lesson learned there as well!

Overall, this was a very satisfying project and I can’t wait to make more. However, it is slightly cost prohibitive. There are so many wonderful fabrics out there, but they are all so expensive! How do you all do it???

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

I like to size up a little with tops to give room to grow. In particular, the hopscotch pattern is slim fitting.

If you are worried about the expense, why not shop in your closet a bit? You might be able to work in fabrics from clothing you can cut up.

Or you can wait for a sale. Or you can talk yourself into it. At least you are making something with the fabrics. It isn’t a waste. Or so says the voice in my head when I’m browsing the fabric store.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Those are sweet! I like the contrasting buttons. As for fabrics, well the price ranges quite a lot. There are also some inexpensive fabrics out there too and children’s things don’t require much yardage.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I tend to use fabric from op-shops, and a number of people have given me fabrics they no longer need. The other thought is if you only buy fabric for the immediately next project, and then finish it before buying the next project, this can keep the cost down as you don’t end up with a lot of fabric you don’t know what to do with.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Perfect Heidi,create good habits in the beginning!

LINK
    KellyNYC @KellyNYC

Those are adorable! I love the pink and gray together. I basically shop for fabric the way Heidi suggested. I buy only when I have a project in mind. Which, lately, is a constant cycle, so that doesn’t help much!

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Wait! We aren’t supposed to have a stash of fabrics sitting in our house calling out to us to be turned into miraculous 3d O and S wearable sculptures?

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

I buy bargains when I see them in the way of fabric, buttons etc which is way I have over stuffed cupboards because sod’s law says you can never find what you want when you want. Like taxis never being there when you really need it. Congratulations, hokiekate, on finishing your two dresses, and for posting them so bravely (for a first timer). I thought the colour combo was great.

LINK

Thanks Nicole, I have at least 3 shelves of fabric, which I mainly use, I think over half of it was given to me. I try to only buy what I think I’ll use (ie pink, bottom weight fabrics) from op-shops. I try to only buy from spotlight with a definate pattern/occasion in mind.

Well done Kelly, keep finishing thoes projects.

Kate, the dress is loveley and elegant.

LINK
    hokiekate @hokiekate

Thank you for all the kind words. I do have a large stash of fabric, and a lot of it was given to me, but it is almost all quilting cottons, and I don’t necessarily want to make all of my clothes out of that.

What is an op-shop??

LINK

Sorry Kate, it’s an Australian word for what the americans call a thrift store. Op-shop is short for opportunity shop. I also find some are better than others for fabric, if you check my fliker stream I’ve tried to mention if I found the fabric at the thrift store. This was one of my favrouite op-shop fabric finds so far http://www.flickr.com/photos/73669617@N07/8078823380/

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

What I do is meditate until the feeling passes, then buy more fabric.

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

hehehehe, I do the same Sarvi! I would love to say I buy as needed but I can’t sew that fast. ; ) The stash seems to grow when I fall alseep at night.

I try to look for fabrics on sale as much as I can though. My grandmother has sent me lots of lovely fabric too.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Nicely done, Hokiekate! Very cute dresses, and welcome to the community!

LINK
    paula @paula

I have heard that many people re-use fabric from clothes from their own closet, or shop at second hand stores. If you can buy an adult size garment for a few dollars at a resale shop and use it to make a child’s outfit or two, you’ve saved quite a bit!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.