Oliver + S

Music Class Long Sleeve room?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

Sweet pea broke her arm a couple of days ago and I am having the hardest time getting anything over her splint. Right now she has been wearing her Tea party dresses but it is cold outside and she will be needing something way warmer for wear. I was wanting to know if the Music class shirt long sleeve was roomy or more slim fitting in arm width? If I make the pattern as is I was thinking that if it’s unbuttoned on the one sleeve it would fit fine or should I added some room to the sleeve, width that it?

Any ideas would be great!

~Sharon~

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Oh, the poor sweetie! I am so sorry to hear this news! I hope she feels much better soon and isn’t in too much discomfort while healing. I’ve just made one of these and found the width to be average — not too slim and not too wide. Not sure how bulky a cast is, though. Could you maybe pinch together the traced sleeve piece at the point where you attach the wee sleeve packet? Looking at it right now, that looks like the narrowest spot. The one I made is a 3T, I can take a pic and measure the opening if that helps any?

LINK

Thank you Sarvi, She is still hurting pretty bad, she refuses to use that arm. (Which is a good thing!) We are helping her to with eating and drinking. I need to wash her hair so I am waiting until my husband comes home for that.IWe have been reading books and watching her favorite shows to keep her still.I am hoping that it will start to feel better soon.

I was just thinking that myself!I have the pattern out and I am getting ready for tracing. I have some extra fabric not planned for anything so I think I will make it up to see how the fit will go. She wears a 2T but I have been making a 3T for her. The sweater I had on her was a 4T, very big on her but I could bearly get it off of her with the sling on her arm. The was a lot of crying on her end and was thinking about cutting the thing off when I fianally got it off of her. It did fit over the top of it thought so I was thinking if the sleeve had a button placket on the end it would work.

Thaks again Sarvi!

LINK
    Jane @jesims

I don’t have any sleeve ideas. However, the thought of that little cutie being so sad breaks my heart. I hope she feels better real soon!

Jane

http://www.NotSewPlain.blogspot.com

LINK

Thank you Jesims. I pulled out some of her pink stash fabric she has and that is cheering her up. 🙂 I don’t know where she gets that from. 😉

I traced out and tried the 3T sleeve on her, it very snug so I am not sure how it will fit over her spilnt or the cast that will be put on. I am thinking of useing the 4T sleeve so should I just make the 4T shirt? Or maybe go ahead and make a 3T shirt first to see if it would work out with the slit in teh long sleeve placket?

LINK
    beachmom @beachmom

Poor girl! I’m no help regarding the sleeve/shirt problem but hope that she heals quickly.:)

Cindy

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Oh the poor darling! Just wondering about how far the cast goes up her arm? We have more issues with length than width but I didn’t make this for my daughter when she was Sweetpea’s age. Trying to remember what we did when my sister broke her arm (she had three breaks at different times).

For washing hair though we wrapped the cast in cling wrap and covered it with a plastic bag – we did that for swimming also.

Maybe if you widen the sleeve to maybe to an elastic casing at the wrist so that it is easy to encase the cast and widen down the sleeve part but not at the shoulder if not needed? Hope this makes sense. So it is a bit puffier but looks shirt-ish over the cast.

Hope she feels better soon – It takes a little while to get used to the whole thing. How are you feeling? Sometimes the mums take the brunt of the shock!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

What about the Bed time Story pajama shirt? It seems to have wider sleeves (at least in the diagrams). I haven’t made it but maybe somone who has can give an opinion. I know Nicole has a tutorial and has made a few as day wear. And it’s a downloadable if you don’t have it.

LINK
    Robin @Robin

Heidi that’s a great idea. You could look at Patty Young’s Kyoko dress. It has massive sleeves and is very quick to sew up. Sorry for being disloyal Liesl!

Sending healing thoughts your way Sharon.

LINK

Thank you for the warm thoughts. Oh yes I was pretty upset too. When her arm hurts she wants me to “help” her. It’s hard to see her hurt and not be able to do things for herself. She is so much an independent person. She is feeling better tonight. Right now she is playing with her brothers. 🙂

Thanks Tamara! She is in much need of a bath and doesn’t want one. After hubby gets home I think the two of s can get it done. I hope.

I do like the sleeve idea. I think it would look good with the family reunion dress/top.

Heidi,that a great idea too! She made some beauitufl tops with that pattern.

Oh Robin what a great reason to buy that pattern! I have been wanting it for a while now for Sweet pea. A great get well soon gift for her.

~Sharon~

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Poor little chicken!

The pj’s make a great quick blouse.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Oh no!

I don’t think they’re very roomy sleeves at least not in the maller size I made.

Perhaps a Sunday Brunch sleeve or Firefly sleeve drafted onto the Music Class body

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

What if you added room in the middle of the sleeve and made the pleat in the center of the sleeve cap larger? You would basically cut the sleeve in half, vertically, down the middle and spread the two sides far enough apart to add enough extra room. Then construct the sleeve the same as the regular sleeve, but with a larger pleat. As long as the armhole is big enough I think it would work. You could also make the pleat at the cuff larger and still use the same cuff, I think. You could probably use this technique with most of our patterns, really, and add width to all of them if you want.

I hope she feels better soon! Poor thing.

LINK

Thank you Nicole, quick is what I am needing right now. I have some fabrics in my stash that I was planning on for other things but may be needing now for others. I would like to make tops that would be great all winter long, I am sure the PJ top will be great.

So clever McStitch! I don’t know why I didn’t hink of that! That would be great for all her summer tops she already has.

Thank you Liesl! I made the size 4 Music class top last night as she was sleeping and tried it on this morning. The shirt itself is big on her but the sleeve is to tight still, but only by a little bit. I will need to add about an inch I think to make it work but may just add a 1 1/2″ to be safe. I am going to try your idea today on another blouse, it should work out great. Today it’s 45 F out here so she will be needing warm things to wear for the next few weeks, her fleece Sunday brunch will not even go over her arm. 🙁 Maybe a red riding hood cape?

The tea party dress are a life saver right now! She has been inside so she has been plunty warm enough. She can step into them so nothing goes over her arms.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.