Oliver + S

Messenger Bag Bias tape

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    Tehra @Tehra

I have never made bias tape before and I have a question. The instructions for the messenger bag call for 1/2″ homemade bias tape. I purchased a 1/2″ bias tape maker, but do I really need a 1″ bias tape maker? Is it supposed to have 1/2″ folded bias tape? I am a little confused and any help that anyone could give me would be appreciated! Thanks!

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

When you open 1/2″ bias tape, it is 2 inches wide- so each strip needs to be 2 inches, and then folded in half, and again towards the middle. There is a great tutorial for making yards and yards of bias tape that I have loved-

http://pir8.freeservers.com/quilting/CBT/

The description is a bit wordy, but I can make yards of it at a time.

LINK
    daisygirl78 @daisygirl78

Yes, Johanna, this is the method I use, and though it’s a bit confusing the first time you do it (I mean the part where you offset the lines and sew it together into a wonky tube), you do get miles and miles of lovely bias tape. Mind you, I didn’t have good diagrams like this one to help me when I first learned this method. Is it just me, or does it seem like the “joins” are further apart this way than if you use the cut and join method?

LINK
    Tehra @Tehra

Thanks for the replies! I think that I have the actual construction of the strips understood. The only problem that I have is whether I actually have the correct bias tape maker. It does not appear that 2″ of fabric is going to go into the thing. I could be wrong. It looks like it will take 1″ of fabric and fold it to 1/2″. Then you would have to fold it in half and it would then the 1/4″ double fold tape. I don’t know. I guess I need to contruct the strips and see what happens. Thanks again!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

If it helps, it should be about one inch wide at the tip, because it’s going to fold the two edges in to meet the middle.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

If the finished size of the bias tape trim will be 1/2″, you need to start with a 2″ wide strip of fabric. It will be folded in half twice. In the store, this would be called 1/2″ double fold OR 1″ single fold. So you need a 1″ bias tape maker, which will fold a 2″ strip in half into 1″ and you iron it half again on your own to get 1/2″. Confusing, isn’t it?

LINK
    Tehra @Tehra

Thank you meleliza! You confirmed what I was thinking. I need a different bias tape maker. My maker is apparently 1/2″ single fold which just will not do. Thank you for answering!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

A wide souvenir ruler makes great bias binding.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Chiming in a little late here, but you can also stick pins into your ironing board instead of using a bias tape maker. Here is an example of the concept. I do it a little differently, but this will get you similar results:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:rbWXj9PNRB8J:creativelittledaisy.typepad.com/creative_little_daisy/2007/11/diy-version-of.html+folding+bias+strips+with+pins&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.