Oliver + S

Men's Tie Pattern

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • LINK
    juliamom2009 @juliamom2009

My husband has put in a request for some new ties. (He went from working from home in t-shirts and shorts to a job where he actually needs a jacket and tie.)

Has anyone actually made one? There are a couple of tutorials that I’ve been checking out – one from Purl Soho and the other from Thread Theory. I’d love advice if anyone has actually made one before I tackle this.

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

I sewed a tie (as opposed to bowties, and knitted one 5 years ago — very Mad Men/ 80’s britpop!) as part of my son’s uniform — what they call “full uniform” for Mass days. I riffed off the Purl tutorial, adding a fun bright orange lining to offset the boring required navy outer, and changing the order of steps a little so I could machine-sew some of the longer seams.
    I have since gotten some really beautiful tie silks from the garment district here in NY and plan to make at least one to coordinate with dd’s holiday outfit.
    I found it helpful to make a pressing tool out of thin cardboard, in the shape of the finished tie — it made a huge difference in the neatness of fine seams.
    (My son and husband hate long ties. My son will wear a bowtie, but only ones I make. His favorite that he wears when he does reports is a deep blue Chinese brocade on one side and denim on the other.)
    One trend that I have been seeing is making ties out of relatively large Pucci/Lili Pulitzer type prints and re-embroidering some of the details.

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Reeni. Reason: add pic
    • This reply was modified 7 years ago by Reeni.
    LINK
    juliamom2009 @juliamom2009

Thanks @reeni – very helpful info. I’ll use the Purl Soho one then, and will make a cardboard pressing tool as well. I’m going to use cotton lawn for my first attempt. I’m hoping for the best!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.