Oliver + S

Mega dress combining both views

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I want a little of everything — the sleeves and collar from view A, and the crinoline and bow from view B — would that be overkill? I’ll use a simple fabric so it doesn’t get too crazy.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Sarvi,if anyone can pull it off you will.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

No I don’t think it would be overkill, I think it would look great. The description reminded me of some of the patterns I have from the 50’s and 60’s, made from a similar pattern and some of them have all the bells and whistles and look great!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

You are just describing the classic square yoke with a twist! Can’t wait to see it.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

OK, thanks for the confidence-boost, ladies!

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

I like the collar and the sleeves, too. I know a lot of commercial holiday dresses were sleeveless last winter but I worry about comfort and warmth. I am going to make a casual version of the dress before I make a crinoline version.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

I was thinking of doing the same thing.

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

HAHA! I plan to do just that for Halloween! (Alice in Wonderland–animated disney version) with maybe some changes to the sleeves. I haven’t thought that far ahead yet!

So NO you are not crazy!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Hehe, glad I’m not alone!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

We designed this pattern so that you can mix and match from both views, so go for it!

LINK
    Ellieann @Ellieann

I want to do the same thing, with the same choice of elements. I’m nervous, though. I’ve sewn several Oliver + S patterns, most of it in triplicate for my three littlest girls. But I’ve never tried anything with “3 scissor” difficulty, so modifying something that’s already more difficult seems daunting. I don’t have the patterns yet (I”ll have to buy both sizes). Liesl, when you say it’s designed so that you can mix and match, is there guidance in the patterns for it?

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Ellieann,

The neck line and arm holes are the same so whether you go sleeveless, or tulip sleeves, it is just another/different step. Also, the neckline is the same, so you can use either collar.

Also the sash vs the tiny bow are decorative elements that don’t affect the basic structure of the dress. (Or at least I am pretty sure they don’t- I haven’t made it yet, so it is a case of me looking at the pattern.)

I also think it is a 3 pattern because 1) it recommends making a muslin to gauge and adjust fit and use that as the pattern for the bodice and 2) because of the time it takes, 3) it is fully lined, and 4) (at least for me…) the zipper.

However as for skills, the only skill that is different from a 2 difficulty is the zipper (IMHO). The rest are just time consuming.

No “whipping out” a fairy tale dress, but any fairy tale is worth doing is worth doing the time! 🙂

Ok, those are my 2 newbies cents. I welcome correction!

Jenny

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Jenny’s got it. The instructions will walk you through any differences between the two views, so it’s really just a matter of deciding which elements to include and following the instructions for those elements. And yes, this is a 3-scissors pattern largely because of the fit, the zipper (not hard, just new for many of you), and the number of steps involved. This is a time-consuming project but there’s nothing terribly difficult about if if you’re willing to take your time doing it. I’m confident you can!

LINK
    Robin @Robin

http://wpc.4d27.edgecastcdn.net/004D27/Collections/RachelZoeSpring2013/Rachel+Zoe+Spring+2013+Collection+1.jpg

I like the animal print and piping on this dress. I might make a non formal Fairy Tale dress. Do you think it would work?

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Omg! Yes! A little cap sleeve, No tulle! Normally not a big fan of animal print on little girls, but that sweet style and that delicate print with the smaller scale would totally work.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.