Oliver + S

material choices

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • LINK
    Emily @eboyd83

Has anyone made this jacket out of duck canvas from like joanns as the outer? Can anyone show me an example of how it turned out?

Thanks,

Emily

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Yes, it definitely has been done and looks awesome!

I will hunt out a few for you, I remember some Echino canvas ones.

LINK
    Emily @eboyd83

Thanks, I would appreciate that. I was looking but couldn’t find any examples. I was thinking of waxing one for a raincoat.

LINK
    jax @capnjax

I have a question that sort of relates, if I want to make a coat with waxed canvas should I wax the material before or after I sew it?

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I’ve always waxed afterward so it doesn’t clog up the machine. I know someone who sews with waxed canvas all the time and it does tend to make your machine a bit dirty, so if you wax beforehand be sure to use a press cloth and clean your machine well afterwards!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Rapunzel Coat

LINK
    jax @capnjax

Thank you.

LINK
    Emily @eboyd83

Thanks for the example photo. I ended up finding some cheap wool so I’m going that route. But at some point I still think I want to do a raincoat version of this.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I’m thinking about looking for a heavy twill when I’m in London next week. I’ve realized there’s an outerwear gap in my closet: winter coats, rain coats, and nothing in between. What do most people wear when the weather turns too cool for a raincoat but before you need a full-on winter coat? I’d like something that travels well (i.e., not too bulky).

LINK
    pqtn @pqtn

Has anyone made this as a rain coat from indoor/outdoor home decorator fabric? There are some nice prints. I’m wondering if the drape of the material and water repellancy would work for a rain coat.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I’ve certainly seen people make this coat in cotton laminates. They will be water repellent but have more drape than a home Dec weight outdoor furnishing fabric. However, I think the pattern lends itself quite well to a fabric that has minimal drape. It will be quite boxy but that can be fine, just be aware that it may be a beast to sew – setting in sleeves etc is not so much fun with a really stiff fabric.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.