Oliver + S

Making skirt into a skort for uniform purposes (Music Class)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • LINK
    MyBellaGirl @MyBellaGirl

To all you talented seamstresses… any thoughts on how to add a pair of shorts under this skirt to make it a skort? My daughter is allowed to wear skorts as part of her uniform but not a skirt. Thank you all!

LINK
    sews4kla @sews4kla

This skirt has an elastic pull on waist so I would combine it with the pants from the bedtime story pajamas. Compare the waist measurements of the skirt and the pants. If the size 5 in the skirt and pants is the same make each item (skirt and shorts form the pajama pant pattern) up to the point where you sew in the casing. Place the shorts -right sides out – inside to the skirt (which are also right sides out. Align the shorts side seams with the center of the skirts side panel, for shorts front and back seams align them with the center of the front and back of the skirt. I suggest basting skirt and shorts together at the top threw the fold over line. Now fold over and make casing. If the waist measurements of the skirt and pants don’t match up use the pants that have a slightly bigger size and ease or gather it till is matches up with the center sides, front and back of the skirt. This will work unless the fabric is too bulky (you form a double layer with the fib of the skirt and shorts). The main thing is to use simple pant pattern for the shorts.

There is another way to do this and reduce bulk. Make the skirt and iron in the fold over line to the skirt”s elastic casing. Measure this and subtract a quarter inch. Take this measurement and cut it off of the top of the shorts. Turn shorts right sides out. Turn the skirt so that it is inside out and align it with the shorts as described above. The right side of the skirt will be sewn to the inside of the shorts with a quarter inch seam allowance. Now fold the skirt so that it is right sides out and covering the shorts (which should still be right side out also). Sew in the casing. Hopefully this makes sense the way I’ve written it and I hope this helps.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.