Oliver + S

making it reversable

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

For those who made it reversible, did you alter the pattern at all? I don’t mind if a wee strip of the main fabric shows, but it would be even better if it didn’t.

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

Probably you will need to make the lining the same length as the main dress and that’ll do it. I don’t have my pattern yet but this makes sense to me.

LINK
    rachel @rachel

perhaps i’m a sewing dunce for not getting this (or totally spoiled by being spoon fed awesome directions by Liesl) 😉 but how exactly do you make it reversible? How would you finish the hem? i’m confused.

many thanks in advance!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I think Karen made one that’s reversible, if you look through the Flickr group. Or maybe it was Jeanne?

Basically, you just don’t trim the lining to be shorter than the dress itself. And the two layers are hemmed separately, so they’ll hang separately. The inside layer may show a bit when the dress is worn, so if that bothers you, you may not want to choose this option.

And then you’ll want to sew a button on both sides of the dress so it can be buttoned either way it’s worn.

I hope that helps!

LINK
    rachel @rachel

oohhhh – that makes so much sense! thanks so much, liesl! this roller skate pattern might just be my soul mate pattern. i’m in love.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

I made mine reversible, and deliberately trimmed the “lining” side an 1/8 shorter. Then when I stitched the hems the “outside” fabric peeks through at the hem when wearing the lining side out. I made sure that the button loop fabric was the “outside” fabric too, so that peeking out hem was linked in style to the button loop, making it more purposeful.

If you don’t want either side peeking through and aren’t perfectly precise (I know I’m not), then you can sew lace, or wide ric-rac around the hem so that is what is peeking out regardless of which side they wear.

LINK
    rachel @rachel

LOVE all these tips. Thank you! <3 So did you also hem the lining and the “outside” separately?

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

I plan to make my daughter’s reversible and I will hem the layers together. I’ve done this before with other O+S patterns (swing set, for instance) and it worked perfectly.

LINK
    rachel @rachel

awesome, thanks!

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

I can’t wait to see, Rachel. Are you making one for each of your girls?

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

I hemmed the lining and outside separately. I foresee making the elastic bigger next year so I wanted to leave it open. I think hemming them together could work too.

I love Cybele’s idea about putting trim at the bottom to hid the inner layer.

Now if it would stop raining so I could have light for a decent photo…

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

I sewed each as a separate hem. If you folded the raw edges in and top stitched the hems together closed, you would get a bit of a bubble effect and a stiffer dress, with less swish in the movement. I like swish myself! 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.