Oliver + S

Magnetic snaps

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • LINK
    Clover @Clover

Hi I am making my first jacket and really want to use magnetic snaps. Does anyone have suggestions for the placement? Where the two sew in snaps go? Or where the buttons go? Thank you!

LINK
    Rpankow @excytin

Hello there Clover:

I used magnetic snaps, the sew on kind, for two of my daughter’s school days coat. I used the veclro placement markings on the pattern pieces as a guide for my snaps. I do also believe that there are little “x” type markings on the pattern pieces as well that show where there should be buttons, assuming you are talking about the buttons on the inside that help keep the vest/lining attached. If you haven’t been able to find those markings, then I’m sure you could just go off of where the elastics are place. I hope this helps, I’m sure the jacket will be gorgeous! Happy sewing!

Rebecca

LINK
    aprilshowers @aprilshowers

I am also in the planning stages of my first jacket and want to use the sew-in magnetic snaps. I am using a laminated cotton for the raincoat and a normal cotton lining. I have two questions:

1) What kind and size sew-in magnetic snaps did you use? Are the ones you find at sewing shops/etsy strong enough to work through laminated cotton? I am assuming I want the ones I’m seeing on the larger size (18mm/.7″ or bigger)?

2) Do you sew them in at the step where you sew the Velcro on?

Thanks for any advice!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I think juliamom also did this?

LINK
    juliamom2009 @juliamom2009

Sarvi is correct – I put some in a Sunday Brunch Jacket. I don’t know how this applies to the School Days coat because I haven’t sewed it yet, but I sewed the magnetic snaps through both layers of facing and jacket fabric. I then just sewed the buttons on top through only the jacket fabric solely for their decorative effect.

Jacket photo here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/janice4839/6950034653/in/photostream

Also, I got the largest size snaps they had at Joann’s. My kid LOVED the fact that she could open and close this at will as she was too young to manipulate buttons at that point.

LINK

Thanks juliamom and Sarvi. I hadn’t seen those snaps on the Jo-Ann website so assumed they didn’t have them but, on your recommendation, just trekked down to the store and found them. I’ve got all the pieces cut out and ready to go as soon as I have a little time to devote to this. Can’t wait!

LINK
    sosew @sosew

which magnetic snaps are people using? I see there are kinds that have 4 loops on the ends to sew in, but then also ones with a washer and metal parts you bend.

I’m planning on using them on a boiled wool fabric. Any tips??

Thanks!!

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

I used these. They are quite pricey, but so easy to use.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001B9D7UY

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I put magnetic snaps into two coats I made recently and I’d highly recommend doing it. I took some pictrues and described the process in a blog post here: http://www.bartacksandsingletrack.blogspot.com.au/2013/07/a-pattern-to-make-product-to-be-proud-of.html

Hope that helps.

LINK

I used the same ones that Maggie linked to above, only I got them at Jo-ann. But part of the reason I did that is I was making a raincoat and wanted to be able to sandwich the snaps between the two layers of fabric. If you’re making a wool coat, I’d probably go with Lightning’s suggestion. The tabbed snaps are meant to be seen, while I feel like the sew-in kind are meant to be hidden between fabric layers.

LINK
    sosew @sosew

thank you so very much!!

my lucky day, they were 50% off at the local shop.

(otherwise that place is totally useless. i asked where the magnetic snaps were and the woman helping me said, yes we have them, around somewhere. I had to ask again to get her to tell me where!)

LINK

I know this thread is old but I just ordered magnetic snaps from etsy to make my second School Days raincoat. I just have to share that my daughter’s coat is still going strong 2 years later and she absolutely LOVES the magnetic snaps. Our back door is metal and she thinks it’s hilarious that she can stick her coat to the door 🙂

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Haha, what a cute story! Thanks so much for reporting back, that’s great to know.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.