Site icon Oliver + S

Lining vs. Interlining

I'm making the Apple Picking Dress (love that look). In my last post I asked for lining recommendations when using a muslin-like quilting cotton. Later I posted that I had decided to use a soft old percale sheet for lining this dress. I am about to cut it out, but I have been thinking about the construction of this dress and wondering if I should sew the lining separately for the body of the garment, or if I should sew each identical lining and garment piece together as one. I think in the latter case, it would be considered an interlining, right?

I am leaning toward the latter because I think the lining/interlining will support the outer fabric better that way and also because, since I have a serger, I don't need to worry about raw fabric edges on the inside of the garment. Do you follow? I'm saying that I like the inside of the garment to be neat, and usually I do this by serging the exposed raw edges of seams. If I were lining the piece, that might not be necessary, since the lining is more or less made separately, then covers all raw seam edges when it is inserted, wrong-sides-together inside the garment.

Gosh, I'm tripping over myself here trying to be clear. Anyway, I would love to hear any comments about this. I'll get discouraged if I can't make the dress as good as it can be. Thanks!

Exit mobile version