Oliver + S

Lining vs. Interlining

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • LINK
    BeckyinFL @BeckyinFL

I’m making the Apple Picking Dress (love that look). In my last post I asked for lining recommendations when using a muslin-like quilting cotton. Later I posted that I had decided to use a soft old percale sheet for lining this dress. I am about to cut it out, but I have been thinking about the construction of this dress and wondering if I should sew the lining separately for the body of the garment, or if I should sew each identical lining and garment piece together as one. I think in the latter case, it would be considered an interlining, right?

I am leaning toward the latter because I think the lining/interlining will support the outer fabric better that way and also because, since I have a serger, I don’t need to worry about raw fabric edges on the inside of the garment. Do you follow? I’m saying that I like the inside of the garment to be neat, and usually I do this by serging the exposed raw edges of seams. If I were lining the piece, that might not be necessary, since the lining is more or less made separately, then covers all raw seam edges when it is inserted, wrong-sides-together inside the garment.

Gosh, I’m tripping over myself here trying to be clear. Anyway, I would love to hear any comments about this. I’ll get discouraged if I can’t make the dress as good as it can be. Thanks!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I did something a bit similar, when I had a sheer outer fabric that needed something opaque behind it. I cut two of each piece except the ties and the sleeves, and basted them together between the cut edge and the stitching line (so my basting was contained within the seam allowance). Then I assembled the dress as written. This way you could serge to tidy your seam allowances just as you normally would. Is that what you meant?

LINK
    BeckyinFL @BeckyinFL

Yes! That’s what I was trying to describe. Thanks for clarifying 😉

I just scrapped the muslin print for this dress. I think I was trying to make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear. It just isn’t good enough quality. I just selected a different fabric, so here I go again…

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Good luck, and in Nicole’s famous words, pop a pic in the flickr pool!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.