Oliver + S

Lining Fabric

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

for children’s clothes, I use mainly voile but also lawn, batiste or muslin, depending on the garment and the fashion fabric. I buy often buy ivory voile yards at a time becuase it’s so useful. If I’m ordering from Hart’s anyway, I’ll stock up on their basic voile to get me to the free shipping. I think it’s like $7/yd. Also, fabric.com sells Robert Kaufman voile at a good price. I don’t like the poly anything.

You can get Bemberg in a limited color selection at Joann, so with cupons or a sale it’s a great price for when you need something slippery. I really really hate the feeling of sticky dresses, so slippery is good for anything to be worn with tights/Spanx. I hate to admit that I have kinda moved to silk for linings for myself. So lovely to wear but definately getting up there price wise. I plan to stock up when I see a sale.

LINK
    KarenK @KarenK

If it doesn’t need to be a slippery lining I often use muslin. It’s not exactly luxurious but it does the trick and is easy to work with. Not to mention super affordable.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Bumped up!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I’d like to point out that you don’t *have* to use the free spirit designer voile for a lining. That runs around $15/yd, though it is much silkier than typical voile and absolutely wonderful stuff. I tend to buy Robert Kaufmann voile or lawn from fabric.com or from Hart’s fabric. It runs around $6-7/yd. I use mainly white or ivory, so color isn’t an issue for Internet orders. If I do use a color lining, I order swatches. However, I’m probably more type A about matching than most people. poplin is bout the same price, but keep in mind that it’s much stiffer. Batiste, or anything that might be labeled “heirloom,” can get more expensive but might be worthwhile for a special project. For special projects, I also sometimes use the Radience silk/cotton blend. It drapes nicely but is easy to work with.

LINK
    Sherry @mim22

Thanks Reeni, I have just received my order from Dharma Trading that you suggested for the cotton voile. It is just beautiful, so lovely and soft and silky, I haven’t sewn with it yet but am sure it will be wonderful, so thanks for the link. Sherry

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

That’s good to know. I’m looking for a source of really nice quality voile in solid white.

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

I’ve been using “peach skin” fabric for some of my linings- especially for my clothing. It is a polyester lining, but because of the texture, I don’t find that it sticks to my skin as badly as some of the other polyesters. (And believe me, we worry about heat and sticking plenty here.) It has a great drape, and even when it frays, it’s not that bad. It is, however, terrible to hem. That’s when the “baste the fold line” trick comes in very handy.

LINK
    Robin @Robin

Can I use Bemberg rayon to line a bag? Will it be hardy enough?

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

It might be enough for a special occasion bag, but I don’t know whether it would hold up to every day kind of use. Maybe a lining meant for coats would work better.

LINK
    Robin @Robin

Thank you Meleliza. I think you’re right.

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

you’re welcome mim22! yummy stuff, I would like to try dyeing it this summer with coffee or tea — I think it could be very useful if a white lining would be too stark.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.