Oliver + S

Liesl's new patterns for grown ups

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Liesl has been teasing us with mysterious sounding emails in the last week or so; finally all is revealed. Check out the Oliver and S blog for great descriptions of the new patterns. I really like the look of the pullover top. And all the patterns are available NOW.

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

I look forward to seeing more of these pop up in the Flickr group. I myself am on the fence about whether any of them will look good on me – I’m an hourglass carrying 15 extra pounds and gathering of any kind is not my friend. But maybe I’ll be surprised!

LINK
    forkandneedle @forkandneedle

The Late Lunch Tunic is similar in lines to the Tova top. I made my own version of it and took out most of the gathers under the bust. It’s great to wear and super comfortable. This pattern should be similar – and for me I’d take out a lot of the gathers at the back as well. My only worry as how much fabric it says it takes! I wonder how much I could really get it out of? I’d also be willing to try the Weekend Getaway top if I had some light fabric on hand – it should be quite a simple top to wear.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I am chomping at the bit to make these. I MUST finish my kid’s current projects first, and after that she can kiss her handmade tweed suits goodbye and say hello to Elmo t-shirts and leggings, because it’s Mama’s turn for nice things.

KIDDING. Mostly.

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

Haha! If she is like Sarah she probably doesn’t know that they exist!

I love tunic top, I would love to get to this pattern for me.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

They may be very simple to sew but they do look really good. It will be a long time before I can fit the size range though unfortunately. I want to make a cape for next year’s cooler months – my new farm getup!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

So excited about the new patterns.

Powering through the Biggies sewing so I can make a few things for me!

As a shorter, petite woman carrying extra weight I have embraced a less tailored wardrobe. Never underestimate the power of a little shaping under the bust and arms to hint at a waist. That is the beauty of sewing, we can alter things that wee bit.

Another trick I use is to cut a size 14 front and and a 12 back, as my weight is on my tummy.

So very happy to see these patterns.

LINK
    Jillls @Jillls

I think the only one I’ll purchase is the Everyday Skirt. Okay maybe the cape. I love the little details of the Tunic but don’t think the shape is flattering, even on the thin model. Maybe my mind will be changed once I see things popping up on the Flikr feed.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

The everyday skirt! How much do I love that? It’s exactly like the jcrew boardwalk skirt, which I did wear nearly every day this summer. So, a yummy wool version for every day of the winter? Yes, please! I think the pink version of the cape on the cover won me round to its potential. Since my son started kindergartens. Few years ago, and we don’t live near any decent schools, I’ve become less of the urbanite-walking person and more of a driver. I find that on cold-ish days, I don’t need an actual coat to run around in the car. In fact, coats get a little in the way when you’re driving, so this would really be useful for me.

I hear your concerns about the looser styles. I love them on the model,but I’m tall, broad shouldered and full busted, so if I don’t have some kind of shape in my clothes, I look like a sack. However, the one blouse in a very liquids fabric tucked in as they show it could still be very nice. And the lowly blouses are everywhere right now. As long as there’s some skinny somewhere to balance it. Maybe. But on someone a little more petite, or less narrow I think it’s just the thing. And they would cover the mommy tummy too.

After all not every thing can suit every body out there. We are all so different. I look forward to Liesl’s instructions up hampered by Simplicity’s way of doing things. I hope this endeavor works out!

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

Jillls, I also am on the fence about the tunic, but someone just made one that looks wonderful and flattering: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lulu_c/10290839535/. I am sure more will pop up and maybe they will push me over the edge.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

I think it is funny. I am on the fence about the tunic and blouse/dress exactly because I am petite and think for it to be flattering, you need to be tall and broad. Petite and bounteous in the bust is not an easy fit.

Although I am itching to make me some things. I recently lost an additional 15 lbs (25 total in my process). While I have 20 more to go, I am stuck between my fat clothes as bags and my skinny clothes that I will never fit into again (a size 2 is unrealistic). So I really NEED to do something. My mentor keeps giving me the stink eye about how I dress, but she doesn’t know that I am between sizes and too broke to afford new. 🙂

I am definitely doing the every day skirt and the tunic though. That tunic has library dress moments and I adore that dress. The tunic also gives you a bit of a false high/empire waist. The chest can fill it and then the lower portion can drape nicely, hiding the mommy belly, but looking smaller than the chest.

LINK
    Jillls @Jillls

I did just see the Flikr photo of the tunic and do like it much better than the one on the model. I am short and nearing the top of the size range so I don’t think will try that one.

LINK
    Cat75 @Cat75

I am exited about the new adult patterns. I have been wanting to try making something for myself but have been a bit nervous. The blouse and the skirt are the ones I plan to try first after I finish my fall sewing for my daughter.

LINK
    sosew @sosew

Yes! especially because lately my boys like to run away and laugh everytime I try to get them to put on something mama made for them (all that work!!!)

I’m thinking the shirt would be great for wear with a jacket at work

The cape is beautiful but I wonder if its possible to lengthen the sleeves? Its already past shorter sleeve jacket weather here 🙁

The skirt in wool as someone mentioned already for winter, yes! I love pockets in skirts. But I much prefer my skirts to sit on my hips vs waist (sensitive tummy), i wonder how this would look worn a smidge lower

LINK
    sosew @sosew

i wonder if there is any chance for a deal where you get a discount if you purchase 2 or 3 of the patterns at once…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.