Oliver + S

Kids clothes week

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Some of you do it, right?

I have some questions.

I signed up, and in the explore section are patterns. Is this just what people upload to show what they plan on making?

Also, is it complete a project a day?

Then in the project section I see pictures. Is this stuff people already made? Or is it stuff that inspires people? If they already made it, is it a part of kid clothes week?

Help me understand it!

Thanks.

Jenny

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Jenny, I have missed out the last couple of times. When is it happening again? I am hoping to be able to join in provided there is a little time in between now and then.

The idea is to sew something for a kid everyday for a week. It doesn’t have to be a finished product. You could finish off something or work on something from scratch but essentially by signing up you commit to a minimum one hour a day sewing for the week dedicated to sewing for your kids.

Its good fun. It is a way to really make the time to sew. It is a way to sew what you have always wanted to sew or even to sew those essentials. You get to see what others have made that week and then gain and share new ideas, patterns,techniques etc with others.

The pictures are of stuff that has been made during the week. Some go hard and finish five to seven projects whilst others do a few. It is all down to doing what you can and then showing it off.

So have a go and do it. It’ll get some sewing done.

Tamara

LINK
    dubhels2003 @dubhels2003

I would like to join in this year too and have signed up, I can’t remember when it is though. I’ve barely done any sewing this year and I need a bit of motivation. An hour a day is about all I could manage between work, toddler and early pregnancy tiredness, but I bet you can achieve a lot in that hour.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I had a look on the website after I commented last and found out it is from the 7 – 11th April which is the last week of term for us and will be perfect for me to do some Autumn sewing prior to Easter. Because it is in two weeks time I hope to be fully up and running in the sewing room by then with NO other weekends like this one to endure! Actually I am really hoping to be up and running before the end of this week if I can – but of course selfish sewing.

I will sign up but only when I really know I can do it. Last time I signed up and didn’t manage anything which was a pure waste of time. My eldest needs clothes desperately so the next couple of weeks are crucial for me to get some sewing under way and drafting / enlarging patterns. Actually I might even indulge and order some knit fabric as t shirts seem to be thing most in need. That and coloured denim!

Oh heck yes! Provided you are organised and have no other distractions you would be pleasantly surprised at how productive you could be in the space of one hour.

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

It really is just a commitment to sew for one hour a day for one week on kids’ clothes (or accessories) – but some people do take it to extremes and go a bit OTT! (& yes, I shall include myself in there 😉 )

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

I’ve done the overboard thing too, but I’ve also done the bare minimum, and it’s true, you can get a decent amount done in an hour a day, for seven days! Lately I have been sewing like mad, and forcing myself to sew for the kids in between projects for myself, so I don’t know that there will be anything left to make by the 7th 🙂

Then again … if I save all the kid stuff until then, that means I can sew for myself with abandon for two straight weeks before KCWC. Hmm …

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I’d cross check plans against accomplishments before getting too hyped. I’d bet that a lot of folks’ eyes are bigger than their stomachs, as it were.

It’s fun to see how ferociously you can crank things out, but it can also be useful to see how much you can get done in a reasonable chunk-per-day by working methodically. It’s really up to you, what you want to make of it. I’ve tried both and just never been able to do one a hour a day. That way of working is alien to me. I know it’s the more efficient way to work, but it goes against my grain, so I do nothing on two days and three hours on three days. That sort of thing.

It’s fun to see what everybody else is doing, and you can add your own ‘house rules’ like trying to pattern-bust or stash-bust, or trying to make a complete outfit. I believe some knitters work on it too, trying to finish a sleeve, or a back piece. Knitting’s slow.

LINK
    thejennigirl @thejennigirl

I’m in, though I haven’t “signed up”. I cleared my schedule for the week, and I’ll be sewing more than one hour a day, mostly because I haven’t been sewing because of the studio build and remodel and I’m suffering from the lack of quality time with my machines. I tend to prep ahead of time (tracing patterns, cutting fabric, ironing facings, ironing in hems, running gathering stitches, cutting trims, winding a plethora of bobbins, and pinning pieces together so that I can assembly line sew like a crazy woman.)

The girl grew, and needs almost an entire spring and summer wardrobe, and while some Gymboree & Gap shopping has happened, the rest is on the machine (except for shoes. I need to make a serious shoe shopping trip with 2 kids in tow)

I’m organizing my week by sewing in themes to keep thread color changes at a minimum: Nautical, Spring Brights, Black & White, and For the Boys (who both have April Birthdays!)

I have 3-4 items left to cut out, maybe 5, everything else is prepped completely as of last night. Obviously, I intend to be going overboard 😉

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Thanks so much ladies. The OTT women scared me off thinking it was something I couldn’t do! I definitely can commit to a hour a day for a week. I might get one thing done! :).

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

One is better than none and I look forward to seeing “it”

LINK
    juliamom2009 @juliamom2009

I participate to some extent every time they have it. I usually try to do more utilitarian type sewing, like basic t-s or basic shorts or skirts. But, others would work on something more complex like the Fairy Tale dress a few hours a day. Kind of like spurring you on to sew. Plus, it’s really fun to see what everyone creates.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Thank you all. This is nice to know. I am happy the OTT girls have the time and motivation. Me? I am squeezing it all in. (I will say, I will be doing major sewing in general for my daughter… she catapulted from size 2T with some length to a 4T in dresses.

Funny how when you cut that fabric, it looks huge but then you hold it up to their bodies and think… huh, is she really THAT big?

LINK
    Anonymous @

I think I would have a hard time sewing for 1 hr per day, Sarvi. Once I get started on an item, I hate to stop until it’s finished or I’m too tired to do anymore. I should get on board this time and see how I go.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Oh you can sew for as long as you can too. It doesn’t have to be just one hour, that’s a minimum. But at the same time I absolutely agree. I couldn’t stop after just one hour if I absolutely didn’t have to – you become too engrossed in the project to the point of having to keep going.

i have entered it in the diary!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.