Oliver + S

Just lining the top?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • LINK
    aprilshowers @aprilshowers

I’ve made 2 rollerskate dresses and absolutely love them. I’m considering a third for my 8yo but would like to make it a little lighter and more casual by only lining the top of the dress. I recently made a Geranium dress by Rae Hoekstra and that pattern lines the top and then stitches the bottom edge of the lining down by stitching in the ditch at the bodice/skirt seam line. Rollerskate doesn’t have that but I thought I might be able to do something similar at the stitching for the elastic. Or could I just hem the lining and leave it unattached? Any other ideas? Or is this just a terrible idea in the first place? 🙂

Thanks in advance!

LINK
    NanaMar @NanaMar

Hi, aprilshowers

I have made a roller-skate dress lining only the bodice by cutting the lining at the lower casing line for the elastic, remembering to add the seam allowance and stitching the lower edge down to the dress, leaving an opening to insert the elastic as per the casing instructions and then stitching the lining again to the bodice above, on the line of what would be the upper edge of the casing, to form the rest of the casing. Voila, no need for a separate casing! I hope this helps.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I have also made this in double gauze without a lining by finishing the edges with bias.

LINK
    dkbnyc @dkbnyc

i just made an unlined Roller Skate dress. I cut 1 1/2″ facings for the armholes, overcast the edges as I was too lazy to turn them under for a clean finish, and topstitched approx. 1″ from armhole edge. stitching that far from the edge is a little fiddly, but my print hides the stitches. For the neck, I used the contrast neck trim on the inside as a facing, extending the back facing to just past the back placket. neck is also topstitched approx. 1″ from edge. I didn’t use any interfacing, but next time I would, especially at the neck. Doesn’t seem as essential at the armhole. I used 7/8″ wide bias tape on the inside for the elastic casing.

While I am taking about modifications, I lengthen this pattern 2″ on the size 12, for my average height 9 1/2 yo. I find this pattern to run a little short for here and want the skirt to hit mid to low knee so she has room to grow. I also drop the casing 1″. Next time I think I might also drop the armhole 1/4″.

I”ll link up an in progress picture of my facing construction.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/darcibee/14079709960/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.