Oliver + S

Japanese sewing books for womenswear

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

Hello sewers, wondering if any of you have any of the books I’ve listed below? I have seen them on Amazon and they either have the basic patterns included or simple directions for cutting out a pattern etc. I think they are all in the English language. I really fancy idea of unstructured, comfortable clothes and have about 3-4 clothing items already in this style (called lagenlook, maybe?) which were ridiculously expensive. However, several reviews say they make up quite small and may not suit women with breasts (!!!) I am about 5 foot 2″, weigh about 9st 10lbs. I don’t have much of a waist and my bra size is about a 34 EE or F cup. I don’t have a large bottom or hips but I do have a bit of a belly after having four children and not enough exercise! I have no experience of pattern alterations and not sure that I want to! If you have used any of these books, could you give me your valued opinions, please? Thank you, Linda

LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

Oops! Forgot to list books- here they are:

• Stylish dress book – Wear with Freedom by Yoshiko Tsukiori

• Stylish dress book- Smocks, dresses and tops by Yoshiko Tsukiori

• Stylish dress book – Clothing for Everyday Wear by Yoshiko Tsukiori

• Feminine wardrobe by Jinko Matsumoto

•Simple Modern Sewing- 8 basic patterns to create 25 favourite garments by Shufu To Seikatsou

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I would suggest asking Sanae of http://www.sanaeishida.com as she has done a lot of adult sewing from Japanese pattern books.

I’ve only made one thing for myself (not any of the books you mentioned) and found it to run small, but I am 5’7″ with broad shoulders.

LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

OK, I’ll do that. Thanks for your help, Lightning McStitch.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I have a Japanese pattern book which I adore, I read it, and put it back on the shelf. I suspect with my (ahem) curves, they would be comfortable but perhaps not so flattering.

McStitch makes the cutest children’s things.

LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

Yes, Nicole, I am thinking similar- my body shape is very un-Japanese too! Bit like when you go to hairdressers for new style and fall in love with a cut that is blonde, waist length and poker straight, when your own hair is brown, cropped short and thick and stubbornly wavy…sigh. My brother is six foot two, very slim and blonde in his younger days. Just not fair! Linda

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Some one needs to create a pattern line: The Apple: what real women look like after a few kids! 😉

LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

Hi Cybele- yes, agree! One that makes us look like we are really a beautiful hourglass shape!

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Actually, I’d prefer it if someone designed patterns for an oldfashioned “milk bottle” shape. At the moment, I’m not too shabby but at only 5’2″ with a size 12-14 bust, patterns designed for lovely tall sorts like Shelley or even short sorts that are evenly distributed at their top and bottom, just make me tired.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.