Oliver + S

ISO girly boy-free fun

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

my boys are driving me crazy. I can’t even stand the sight of them their behavior is so bad. My poor daughter is suffering through this too. Short of running away together, are the any suggestions for some seriously girly fun to distract us? What are your favorite girls only things to do?

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

My daughter and I go on mommy-and-me dates. We actually started this when I was pregnant with my son (so, she was 3), and we have continued doing it because it’s a nice way for us to reconnect. It’s never anything over the top, sometimes a coffee date, other times a quick dinner and treat, or even the fabric store, but it’s helpful. I stay very busy with work and grad school so even a short 1-hour date is a huge treat for both of us.

My son is now starting to show some real defiance and attitude (and he’s only 27 months) so I know the dates will be even more appreciated because it’ll give her time to get proper attention after spells of focusing on the little fella.

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by sayiamyou.
    LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

yes, dates are great! I’m trying to squeeze in as much time as I can before she starts school. The boys just suck every ounce of attention and energy.

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

I try to every so often separate my kids — boy is 10, girl is 6…
    The simplest thing we do together is read a book — something with a girl character that her brother would not ever be into. Or we dance with big flouncy skirts on, or I let her do “makeover” — weird hairstyles, painting nails, doing crazy eye shadow patterns using the colors I’d never wear. She does mine, then I do hers.

LINK
    Kerrilyn @Kerrilyn

I can relate, I have 5 boys from 17yo down to 5yo. Boys are hard work! They have heaps of energy and not always the most sensible creatures. They do tend to slow up in there mid to late teens. In the mean time here are some things I try.

Get them directed from the start of my day so that I am on a positive to start. Spending time with them early in the day can reduce the chances of them acting out later. Boys tend to desire your attention, if you don’t give it on positive terms they tend to seek it on negative ones. 🙁 You know the things they like. I go for a short early walk with one (17yo) of mine so he can talk my ear off. Another I will read a story to (9yo). Another likes to do chores with me(5yo). He comes and makes my bed with me and I his, helps with cooking etc… Even a hug early (12yo) can put a boy on the right track.

Have them help with chores.

Make sure they do some active activities early in the day for as long as possible, in the holiday/vacation times I will try to have them outdoors all morning. Not so hard for us as we live on acreage but it may be worth some time at a park to burn off excess energy for a calmer afternoon.

Play calming music, it really can help.

Limit gadget/computer/tv use. At the moment we limit it to the afternoon and on the condition that their rooms are tidy and their chores and music practice done. If they need to be indoors try books on subjects they are interested in, not just stories/novels(visit the library). Construction toys can be useful. Ours like lego including the tech kind. Puzzles. Craft type things, currently our 15yo is doing some leatherwork. Keeping a lot of these in a cupboard so that they are ‘new’ when you need them is useful. You will know what sort of things your boys like.
    Playing audio stories while they do activities can be useful too. We have used some of the history stories from Your Story Hour.

Hope that helps some.

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Kerrilyn.
    LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Great ideas Kerrilyn, lots of food, sleep and exercise works for my only boy. He had broken two (yes two) very expensive European irons throwing his footy in the house.

I am very glad to live on a farm, he was encouraged to start hiking and camping from a very young age 🙂

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

I too give both my kids dates. I try to sandwich them in with a scheduled activity. EG: Alex has dance at 4-5 and 7-8 on Friday evenings. Every couple of weeks from 5-7 we grab dinner and go to the book store or something to make a date of it. So I try to sneak in the date like that.

Sometimes at home, I will also tell one child (when there are other adults available to help, etc.), “X needs some mommy time. The next 30 minutes are his/hers. Unless it is an emergency, find another adult.” Since I’ve said it to both children at various times in front of the the child with the mommy time, they’ve learned to respect that time.

Fun girly things to do? Maybe you should print out the coloring book for O+S and cut out reverse templates. Then pick out some stash and plan a project together. Plan lots and say she has to pick one, or something like that.

Have a girls only dance party? Have some one on one reading time? Play with Goldie Blox toys together if you have any. (Or any toys really.)

(FYI Goldie Blox is a line of engineering toys targeted for girls. Both my kids are fascinated with them, even my son. When he tried to play with his little sister with her toys, she firmly informed him, “Science is for girls.” – I explained that science is for everyone- but I was pleased that she viewed this as firmly in her wheelhouse as say, high heels and makeup. I was also secretly pleased that I was raising a girl who thinks that girls are more competent than boys. It will wear off when society gets to her, but I am hoping that the erosion from over confident will result in confident. Giving her some extra padding until society gets a go at her.)

LINK
    vothgirl @vothgirl

“Science is for girls.” Love it!! Haha

I love the coloring book idea. Stashing that in my mental museum for a year or two from now when Ellie is old enough to want to “play” with fabric ;).

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

To be more clear: I just need ideas for getting rid of the boys. Maybe I could sell them to the gypsies?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

It sounds as if they need a farm stay. 🙂

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Meleliza, if you want them separated also I will have the train loving son for a while – it may turn my house upside down but will keep my own boy entertained with some juvenile male company.

Nicole could have one and I the other and then we could swap – and have two farm stays far away in Australia!

Running away sounds like a great plan though! We run away to go shopping and leave my son at home with dad.

LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

Yep…boy or girl I force my kids outside in that sort of situation.

Even if you don’t have much space…do you have room for a slack-line? We just ordered one…after the kids played on a friend’s last weekend. I’m hopeful it helps wear them out or at the very least keep them busy and out of the trees.

Good luck finding some peace!

And, good girl! Science IS for girls!!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I have seen the slack lines. Those are cool!

With the boys in school today, we spent the whole morning doing full pedicures. So relaxing! And now we have matching pink toes. 🙂

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

But sure, I’d love to send them to the farm! 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.