Site icon Oliver + S

is it me or are the body measurement charts girly?

For once, I'm planning to sew for the boys so I measured them. No surprise, they are total rectangles, not figuratively, literally. I think this is a pretty normal shape for boys. They can slide their pants off without ever unbuttoning. In other words, the difference between their waist, hip and chest measurements is almost non existent. Again, isn't this normal for boys?

The O+S body charts, however, are pretty curvy in comparison. This seems to work fine for my daughter, who even at 2 1/2, has a girly shaped body. She measures pretty similarly to the body charts. Also, I mostly make her dresses in which the chest and height are really the only thing that matters.

So, if i make these shorts for my boys, will they be girly shaped or boy shaped? i just don't know enough about flat pattern drafting to be able to understand what the finished product will look like, but I don't want them to be swimming on the boys in the hips. I made the sleepover pjs recently and graded the hips down one size. Because of the way sketchbook is laid out, I can't so easily do that here.

I might just split the difference and make the size in between their waist and hip measurements -except that i don't have the size 4 pattern and it seems crazy to get it for a nearly 6 year old who's pretty tall for his age.

I wonder whether ready to wear clothes also use a unisex size chart for children or are they do have boy and girl sizes?

Exit mobile version