Oliver + S

Inspiration for boys' sewing?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Great little video that’s been making the rounds on Facebook. Guinness-funded mini-doc on the sapeurs — Congolese dandies. I am totally going to draw on something of these glorious looks for my daughter. Bit much for a trip to the park or library, but with such terrific style, I’ll find an occasion.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Pinning this for my next MacDonalds trip (free wifi)

Thanks Sarvi.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

My pleasure! I don’t usually like ads very much because the branding feels so forced and so obtrusive but they kept it to a bit of product placement and left it at that, and really gave a lot of time to the men they were spotlighting. Loved the lines about how it’s not what the clothes are worth, it’s about what the wearer is worth.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Quand il y a la paix, il y a la vie.

Merci Sarvi.

So, if I dress my kid as a dandy he won’t get into fights as a teenager? Hilarious but really sweet idea. If it’s working for these men hopefully it’s rubbing off on some youngsters in the Congo.

Some cool outfits and I admit to an out loud laugh at the Congolese kilt wearer inspired by jug-eared Charlie! (off with my insolent head, I know)

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Absolutely fascinating! Thanks for sharing. I’m really curious now about how big of a tradition this in Africa. It seems like I’ve seen people around here following that tradition but I hadn’t quite understood the significance. I just thought it sweet to see old gentlemen nicely dressed. But what interesting ideas they have about what it means to be well dressed!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

What I know about the Congo would fit on the head of a pin, alas, but yes, I don’t think it’s intended for daily wear. I loved the kilt! It reminded me a lot of the ‘ball’ culture like in Paris Is Burning. I loved the idea of performance through dress and getting together and inhabiting a character for some period of time, one that expresses your sense of elegance or drama, during a time/place where you have a lot of grief.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.