Oliver + S

How to trace patterns

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • LINK
    Loralee @Loralee

I, too, use pattern ease. The pattern ease holds up to multiple uses, many folds and stuffing into pattern envelopes, as well.

LINK
    janimal @janimal

I also use pattern ease, ordered from Nancy’s Notions. It’s easy to see through to the pattern lines to trace.

Sometimes I use freezer paper. It’s harder to see through though. BUT, you can iron freezer paper directly on to fabric and that makes cutting a breeze. I use freezer paper when I make toys from wool felt, ironing the pattern pieces right onto the felt ensures accuracy.

LINK
    Anonymous @

Since my original response I’ve switched from Pattern Ease to Swedish Tracing Paper. It handles a bit easier than the Pattern Ease, but it’s almost the same stuff. One thing that’s great about using either one of these is that you can iron it on a low setting and get all the wrinkles out of your pattern pieces after they’ve been stored for awhile. I love that.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I thought I would bump this one to the top.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I was saying on Facebook the other day that I need to show you all how to use wax carbon paper to trace a pattern. It’s really fast, and you can use any sort of paper–even newspaper if you don’t want to save the pattern. It’s economical, too. I’ll try to get this on the blog soon.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Yes, do! I just took Susan Khalje’s Couture Dress class on craftsy and she showed us how to use those large pieces of waxed paper to quickly and accurately mark both sides of your pattern pieces. It was life changing! I had tried those tiny blue Clover sheets you can buy at Joann, but found them difficult to work with and see and gave up on it. Then I tired a bunch of other methods, all of which seemed to lack a little accuracy. Now that I’ve seen how to do it the right way, I can see it’s the very best way and I think I can use this for non-couture sewing projects. The down side is that there is only one store to buy those large sheets and they have a minimum for online orders, which is about 12 sheets of waxed paper. It was only $35, so I did it anyway. I think I have a lifetime supply of this paper!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

We’re planning to carry the waxed carbon soon, so you’ll be able to buy single sheets in a variety of colors. It really is a wonderful tool, and it’s too bad it can be so difficult to find!

LINK
    ThirdMargaret @ThirdMargaret

Now I am totally intrigued by this waxed carbon paper! I also tried the small sheets of tracing paper and quickly gave up—too much trouble. I usually use either freezer paper or landscape cloth. Can’t wait for your post, Liesl!

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

This is probably very inefficient, but I use the method described here: http://www.burdastyle.com/techniques/trace-a-pattern-easily-without-cutting-it, except I trace onto another piece of sturdy paper so that I have the pattern for future use. Basically, if you don’t want to click the link, this method involves folding the pattern up and making small dots on the fabric (or in my case, new paper) at intervals, then connecting the dots to draw the completed pattern. It sounds like tracing would be less annoying.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Bumped

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.