Oliver + S

How to sew long sleeves for view A

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

I live where it is cold and I would like my granddaughter to wear the Music Class blouses now with the Music Box jumpers. I looked at the view B long sleeve pattern piece and the top of the sleeve is shaped differently. The style of the blouse in view B is different than view A and has a cuff. Can I refer to a sleeve pattern piece from another Oliver & S pattern or just extend the short sleeve and taper it down to the cuff? I’m not how much to taper as I go down the sleeve.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I have not made View A yet,but from memory one is gathered and the other has pin tucks at the sleeve/shoulder seam?

I would think even if the the sleeve pattern piece is different,the longer sleeve could be used as a guide for length and sleeve placket/cuff construction.

I hope this is a little help.

LINK
    Violaisabelle @Violaisabelle

I’m a little unsure of what you are wanting to accomplish. Are you wanting the view A sleeve head with the long sleeve? You could certainly swap the sleeve head out, one for the other and then just from the underarm down use the long sleeve pattern, which might take a bit of blending. Are you wanting a different sleeve head altogether from the options in the pattern? If so, you could use another long sleeve pattern from the line, just make sure you are careful with the sleeve head, and then taper down accordingly. Does that help at all?

We still need long sleeves here, too. More snow, more cold. 😉

Happy Sewing,

Carol

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I think you’ll get a much better looking sleeve if you start with the long sleeve. The shape of the short sleeve is different because we wanted it to taper, so lengthening it may give you a rather strangely shaped sleeve.

I hope that helps.

LINK
    Anonymous @

The armscye is the same for both views, so either sleeve head would fit – it’s just that one is gathered and the other is not. If you want a long sleeve with gathers, I think you should just use the sleeve head from the gathered sleeve on the long sleeve pattern piece. Or – you could just slash and spread the head of the long sleeve pattern to give you the fullness. I’d just trace the one Liesl has for the short sleeve.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.