Oliver + S

How to modify playsuit to one piece front?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    sosew @sosew

Wondering if anyone has tried to make a version of the playsuit that doesn’t have the separate top and bottom pieces (more of a traditional Jon jon style)? Any thoughts? Or am I better off just trying to find a different pattern?

Thanks!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

You would have to take away the relevant seam allowance to join the bodice and bottom pice together. I don’t actually have this pattern but I have worked with similar patterns before and all I did was join the bits together minus the seam allowance that would normally join them and I’d do this when laying out the pattern. If the top piece wasn’t a half then I would halve it and provided I wasn’t placing it all on the fold to make a complete whole front, I’d add the seam allowance to the centre.

I hope this all makes sense. It is pretty straight forward so have a play around with the pattern to see what you can come up with. I’d be interested to see how your version turns out.

LINK
    sosew @sosew

Thanks, that does make sense, I wasn’t sure if it would work!

Any tips for what to do about the lining? In this pattern just the top piece is lined. Would you extend the lining all the way to both pieces?or something else?

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Hi,

when I saw your question I remembered that I had seen somehing simular in the flicker group.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mama_knowles03/7029845431/in/pool-oliverands#/photos/mama_knowles03/7029845431/in/pool-694451@N21/

There are some basic instructions with the photo. (I am not sure how to make the link a hyperlink so you will need to copy and paste to get to the web page).

Hope this helps

LINK
    sosew @sosew

Thank you!!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Do remember to add a little width.

The pattern has a modern cut and is slimmer so if you remove the shaping by eliminating seams it may be too firm.

To line the romper I would construct it and then sew the lining right sides together,turn and edge stitch but leave the bottom edge of the lining free on the inside.

It is such a sweet romper

LINK
    sosew @sosew

Motherof5, thanks for the tip on the width! I hadn’t thought about that but I see what you mean when I look at other Jon Jon pictures.

And yes it is a very sweet romper as is! I have made more than a couple for my boys already so I thought it would be fun to make some adjustments!

LINK
    sosew @sosew

Coming back to this for the summer.

How much would you add to the width for a size 18-24 months? Something like an inch to the front and back (so 1/2 inch to each of the two front and back sides)? Or would you add more like 2 inches to each (for 4 inches around total)? Now that I write that 4 inches sounds like a lot…

I’m thinking instead of adding it down the middle seam I should cut the pattern slightly to the side of the middle and add it there because the center seam for the leg part isn’t straight. Does that make sense?

LINK
    sosew @sosew

I went with 1/2 inch added to each pattern piece, about an inch away from the outside edges, so it didn’t change the neckline dimensions.

Oliver s tea party playsuit

Turned out kind of how it was iny head in the end, this one is a gift for a friend, just cut 2 more to sew up for my boys.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.