Oliver + S

How to Cut a Buttonhole

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

What is the best way to cut the slit in the fabric without cutting through the stitching?

LINK
    isewstuff @isewstuff

I have one of these tools and love it!

http://www.berninausa.com/product_detail-n26-i86-sUS.html

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

I actually use my rotary cutter and ever so slightly make a small cut, then I use a very sharp knife to complete the cut. While probably not the smartest thing to do, it works well for me.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I use my seam ripper. Cut away from the end of the buttonhole toward the center on both sides. Then cut the center portion with your scissors. This way you don’t risk over-shooting that bartack at the ends!

LINK
    lattemama @lattemama

I push a pin through at one end where I absolutely want to stop the hole. Then I use the seam ripper and start at the other end moving away from the edge of the buttonhole towards the pin.

The pin will stop me if I should slip.

LINK
    Anonymous @

The pin is a great idea! Why didn’t I think of that?? I always use my seam ripper. It’s actually called a button hole knife in my manual.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I use a pin in one end ,like lattemama, make a small hole with my quick-un-pick (seam ripper) and then use tiny embroidery scissors to complete the hole.

I still feel ill remembering a swiss cotton maternity blouse I ruined with a blunt quick-un-pick and hormones !

LINK
    corlee @corlee

i use an exacto knife. it works the best for me.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.