Oliver + S

how to attach name label

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    sosew @sosew

I’ve finished my second penguin backpack (with lots and lots of time to spare before my twins go to preschool, yay!)

The only issue I have is that between the first and second I got a new sewing machine that does embroidery and had the bright idea to make cute name labels to sew in the inside of the packs, as they look quite similar. For the second one I sewed the fabric directly to the lining before assembling the pack.

I’m trying to figure out what to do for the other one. I know i could cut the stitches that attach the lining to the backpack and sew it in and re-close, but I’d love to avoid it if I can, I don’t know where the end is so I would have to take out all the stitches and hand sewing is not my favorite part. My one thought was to sew the label to a piece of iron on interfacing and then use that to attach it to the lining. I’m not sure if this will be strong enough to hold (the label is made out of a very lightweight denim and the backpack lining is quilting cotton).

Any advice? (even if its just to tell me to cut it open and do it properly thats ok too 🙂

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I would say practise doing your label first on some scrap fabric with a stabiliser underneath – or else the fabric will crinkle. Just play with the fonts and size until you are happy. Maybe try using the iron on interfacing as the stabiliser to see how the ironing stage would go. Them get your fabric out for the “good copy” and use the iron on interfacing to stabilise if it was successful.

I haven’t made this bag so I am not sure of the sewing layout but I wouldn’t undo too much of your hard work jut to put in a label. I’m wondering if there is a spot on the strap that could do as your label spot? That way you could possibly use the interfacing to adhere it to the strap and then sew around the edges to secure it?

Would this work?

Hope it is helpful anyway

Tamara

LINK
    sosew @sosew

Thanks! I hadn’t thought of using the interfacing as stabilizer (the denim is thick so it worked without it) but that sounds like a great way to make it stronger. I will give that a try

I thought about sewing it on a strap, I could do that with the hanging strap perhaps, I had 2 concerns, one about the safety of having their name on the outside (which if it was under the strap I guess I could avoid), the second is general worry about making things fair/equal for twins, but then I doubt 2 or 3 year olds will get the difference between the label on the inside for one and outside for hte other so thats probably more my own issue 🙂

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I avoid hand sewing wherever possible when making garments, but surely a little hand sewing around the label would be quicker and easier than unstitching your lining to machine sew it.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I agree with lightning, make the label on another piece of fabric, finish the edges (even jsut fray check will probably work) and sew it to the lining by hand.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.