Oliver + S

How successful did you find this pattern?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • LINK
    littlebirdy @littlebirdy

I’m just considering tracking this pattern down!

I just wondered how warm you managed to make the coat? And the best way of achieving this. I have found an amazing stockist of ex-armani cabbages!!!!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Robyn , this pattern is a ‘buzz’ project, it looks slightly intimidating as there are so many pieces, but goes together quite quickly!

I made Little Ones in suede , so did not bother with the padded vest, but I saw a blog about the coat Liesl made for her daughter and she was lying in snow! I guess it must be very snug with that! ( Or did she pad it? ) Check back through her blogs.

Are they photo shoot cabbages? I am a bit thick today, lots of night feeds….

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Are ‘cabbages’ some kind of fabric? I keep picturing expired kimchi in black glass bottles.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Too urban hip for this little farm girl!

LINK
    littlebirdy @littlebirdy

I think it’s quite an old fashioned term. Cabbages are the left over bits . . . if you cut patterns well you have lots left over to make more stuff – so it means tailors who were good could earn more . . . and therefore feed their families (cabbages!)

I may have made that up . . . but I think it’s right. Feel free to correct me.

The shop near here buys Armani cabbages from Italy! Tee hee.

I’m so loving being urban hip!

LINK
    littlebirdy @littlebirdy

I’m going to get both size patterns, I think, by the way.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Cabbages! I love that and it makes sense in a very ”Dickens” way…

Definitely get both sizes, you urban hip thing you!

LINK
    Todd Gibson
    Keymaster
    @todd

Littlebirdy, you can make the coat very, very warm. I can vouch for the fact that S wore hers all winter long in the snow and was plenty warm. You can see the photos in the snow and a post about how Liesl had the idea of using a Thinsulate lining by going here and scrolling down a little:

http://www.oliverands.com/blog/labels/school-days-jacket

There’s another thread in the forums on the topic as well:

http://www.oliverands.com/forums/topic.php?id=94

I don’t think Liesl ever bothered to make the lining for this coat. The wool and Thinsulate were plenty warm enough for even the coldest days.

LINK
    ckcsbella @ckcsbella

I made one of these coats for fall for DD#2, and I’m quite happy with how it went together. I’m making one in wool for DD#1, and I’m worried about it being warm enough, too. I bought microfleece for the lining, and I’m going to make the liner. I debating if I should make sleeves on the liner or not, as I’m lining the sleeves with broadcloth in order to make getting it on and off easier (I think you’d get stuck on microfleece and that could be a problem!) Still working that one out, as the beauty of this coat is I can make the liner later! It doesn’t help that my kids are never cold and I’m always cold! Leaves alot of room for debate.

LINK
    Jemellia @Jemellia

Littlebirdy, you should track down the pattern, I’m hosting a sew along for the coat soon. I am starting to sew up the coat now!

LINK
    littlebirdy @littlebirdy

Thanks . . . I placed an order last night! One or two other patterns accidentally jumped into my basket too. May have had something to do with the large glass of wine I had in my hand at the time. Ooops.

Jemellia, will you post on here about the sew-along?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Funny how that happens? Must be certain vintages….

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Haha, I think whatever’s in your wine somehow wound up in my juice, as well 🙂

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

Glad to see another sew along. Will encourage me to go ahead and cut pieces for the Niblet’s winter coat! It does look intimidating, but so did the Jump Rope and I managed it fine. It’s good to have O+S guiding me!

This whole cabbage/pattern/wine dialogue has be giggling aloud at my desk. Thanks ladies.

LINK
    Anonymous @

I LOVE this pattern – the coat came out wonderfully. I was meant to sew another one today but woke up feeling terrible. I’ll be starting on that one tomorrow. I definitely recommend that you get a hold of this pattern!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.