Oliver + S

How far have you come?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I was looking back through old projects and marveling at how much more confident I am now — I would never have tackled a 3-scissor pattern before. And I think I have a stronger sense of my own style, where in the early days I was very haphazard. Got any old projects? How has your style evolved? Shall we add them to the flickr group? It’d be fun to see some of the older patterns again as we build up anticipation for the new releases.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Gosh, I used to make so many Sailboat tops and Ice Cream tunics. Haven’t made a Sailboat in ages! It’s hard to keep old favorites in heavy rotation when so many exciting new things come out. Must sew faster.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Awesome,come on ladies!

Repost your first item!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I put mine up,eep The Twins were so little!

Great idea,what fun!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Ok, probably wont be modelled though.

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

I think my fabric selection has definitely evolved. I used to buy exclusively quilting cotton in prints. Now I find I lean more toward apparel fabric in solids.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

My first ever Oliver+S was a Puppet show tunic and shorts which I gave as a gift to a friend. It was never photographed, and sadly didn’t fit the kid very well at all. It was a greeeny beige (so no change there!) and I dread to think what those bias bound cuffs would look like compared to how I do them now. (hopefully some improvement there). I found out recently that 3 years later she has kept the outfit even though her baby never really wore it, which is quite touching.

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

I just looked back through my flickr and realized that I sewed my first O+S ( a denim Sailboat skirt) just a little over one year ago. And in that year+, I have made 32 items from O+S patterns. Crazy; it seems like I have been using the patterns for much longer than that!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

What fun to see everyone’s projects, and for the ladies who have been around for a long time, to see these gorgeous babies who’ve grown up so much! I am so impressed with this group, even the very early projects were so sophisticated. I felt like I was really doing big things by adding a button to the Popover dress, but some of you gals are making pleats, piping, bias trimming … brave sewists!

The other thing that really strikes me going back is how incredibly kind people are when you’re new and nervous. Without all the praise and encouragement from the community I might have never kept going. Getting a bit misty thinking about it, that was a tough time for me as a new mom and the group here were so welcoming. It goes beyond just sewing.

LINK
    KellyNYC @KellyNYC

What a nice idea. My first O+S project was also my first endeavor into garment sewing. It was the Music Box Jumper, after I had seen the dress on The Purl Bee blog. I stumbled my way through it and she wore it for Thanksgiving, at 17 months old. My family was amazed! I agree Sarvi – this community has been so much more than sewing for me, even though I’m not a big poster. I began sewing right after I left my high pressure full time job in Manhattan and seeing all the talents in this group was truly inspiring in helping me figure out how to dive into this new hobby. I’ve since expanded to trying my hand at French patterns, and I have my eye on a few things from a Japanese sewing book, once I overcome the intimidation. But O+S patterns have my heart, and I anxiously await the new releases for some “fresh meat!”

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Don’t be intimidated, Kelly! The books can vary a little in ease/difficulty, but most of them have such excellent diagrams you can often go by those alone. I keep meaning to do a cheat sheet for those. I know I’ve seen them before but I can never find them when I want one. I actually go to my O+S if I get stuck and find the most similar pattern, and use the O+S technique 🙂 Do you have a particular book in mind?

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

My first lazy days skirts were sewn last summer. I’m not sure my skills are much improved, but my confidence has. I have made dresses, tunics, shirts and pants (!). I’m trying to make as much as possible for my girls and buy fewer clothes.

Finding this community has been great. I know few sewers and my LQS is focused on quilting only. Thanks for the help and the chat.

LINK
    KellyNYC @KellyNYC

Sarvi, it’s actually an English translation of the Stylish Dress Book. I want to make one of everything. I think I’m most intimidated by having to add my own seam allowances and choosing the right size/fitting issues. Everything, even ill-fitted, looks cute on a 3 year old but not so for a 30-something!

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Kelly, I saw this most amazing thing for adding on seam allowances….

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM6602653608P?ci_src=184425893&ci_sku=SPM6677880503&sid=IDx20130125xMPALLx028

Trace out you pattern with this and it adds the seam allowance! 🙂 Much easier than measuring out th 1/2 or 5/8s.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I have one of those and alas, there’s a good bit of play in the wheels. I’ve wound up adding my seam allowances with a compass.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.