Oliver + S

how do you make a perfect Peter Pan collar?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Does anyone have tips to share? They can be fiddly things. I always draw in the stitching line now, per OandS instructions, but it’s not always enough.

I decided to add some flat piping to this one – an exercise that always frustrates me, but I was really set on the effect of that detail this time around. I was very very careful with measuring and cutting, but the piping still didn’t look even all the way around. So, I put into practice something I have learned in old house building: it doesn’t matter if something *is* straight, it only matters whether it *looks* straight. Sometimes when your walls are really wonky, you can’t actually install straight crowns or window trim. Sometimes you have to fool the eye.

Instead of worrying about raw edges, I marked my stitching line from the finished edge of the piping and ended up with a pretty close to even reveal. The collar itself is less than perfect, but you can’t tell because its the bright piping that draws the eye.

Any other tips?

LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

Not that I’ve ever made a perfect collar. If I am doing a peter pan collar I use corded piping and stitch with a pintuck foot. And, I clip the seam allowance every so often so it follows the curve. The cord sits in the groove of the pintuck foot and makes it easier to make a smooth curve. I’m sure there is a tutorial out there in the heirloom type of sewing sites. Also, don’t be afraid to cut and make another collar if the first one isn’t shaping up. Sometimes it is easy to just start over. Hope that helps some?

LINK
    Lizabeth @Lizabeth

Here is one of the best tutorials featuring a whole block technique by Gail Doane:

http://southernmatriarch.blogspot.com/2010/02/going-fishin-collar.html?m=1

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Thanks for the ideas! Mine came out really well, but I can’t help thinking there should be a quicker and easier way.

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

That is a wonderful collar tutorial. I am going to get a glue pen and try it.

LINK
    Rpankow @excytin

I have rarely ever done piping, which I’m now starting to dive into more and more, but I have used dritz washable wonder tape,

http://www.dritz.com/brands/showcase/details.php?ITEM_NUM=3411

which holds the piping in place while you try to get your layers set. I guess I mark the fold line/stitch line with a basting stitch, per O & S, line up the tape, remove the second paper from the tape, place the piping, possibly put more tape on the piping and then stick the other basted and folded piece of fabric to that, so you create as sandwich like usual but use the double sided tape to hold it all together. It doesn’t shift and washes away. It may be crude but it has helped me get good piping from the first time I tried doing it. Good luck ladies and happy sewing in 2013!!!!

Rebecca

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.