Oliver + S

Hems look wavy

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    Kim @kmac0107
    LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

I made just six short sleeve tops for my granddaughter and them hems look stretched and wavy again. I re-read my former post and I tried ironing. I was wondering if there is a way to change a setting on a serger/cover machine to help with this. My dealer doesn’t know the answer.

LINK
    beachmom @beachmom

I’m not sure with a serger/cover machine but when I had that problem on the sewing machine, I lengthened my stitches a bit and lessened the presser foot pressure. Perhaps the thread tension is too tight?

LINK
    TriMama @TriMama

On a serger, using the differential feed is supposed to eliminate/reduce wavy seams. Although in practice I find that the differential feed only produces less wavy seams, rather than completely flat ones. The wave happens because the fabric is being stretched as is goes through the machine. I’m surprised your dealer doesn’t know about this.

On most knit items, I no longer serge the hem edges before hemming. I just turn them under and stitch, often with a double needle. I always use a longer stitch length and this seems to help the most.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Your dealer should know the answer,they are just being lazy!

Try googling the question,use a gentle hand-let the machine do the work AND ask your dealer again!

LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

Thank you, I actually asked about this in the forum before when I made all of the long sleeve tops. After that I took it to the shop and left it with them for a week.I had a second issue too when my left thread kept breaking while sewing the cover hem. They changed the tension to 3 for the two needles. I brought it home and had the same two issues. I googled and utubed this and found a suggestion to thread the two needles like the chain stitch and now I have resolved the left needle thread breaking. I have also googled and utubed the wavy edge too. I just don’t have faith that the shop really knows this overlock machine. It is a small rural shop and I think they are more knowledgeable about the sewing machines that they sell. However, I have to say that this machine has made the sewing process better and I will persist because it is worth it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.