Oliver + S

Help, my notches don't match

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • LINK
    mela @mela

I have cut out 2 sleepover pjs for my nephew and neice. I was attempting to match up a horizontal print on the fabric I chose. I used what I thought was the correct method to line up patterns: make sure the notches for the front of the top and the back of the top line up to the same point in the fabric’s print. I did that. But as I’m constructing the PJs, I realize that the notches don’t line up. I checked the pattern for the size I’m doing, 12-18 mo to make sure I didn’t do something wrong, and sure enough, one notch falls about 4″ below the armpit and the notch on the other piece falls almost 5″ below the armpit. Am I using the wrong technique to line up a print, or am I incorrectly assuming that the armpit will line up, and therefore the notches? Help! I’m hoping I didn’t just waste fabric. Did I?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Hi Mela,I was hoping someone else may be able to help as I have not made this size. I cannot help you with this pair but when I match prints I use the point on the pattern where the under arm of the sleeve would be. Unless there is a side dart(such as a women’s blouse)and then I match from the bottom(hem)of the front and back pattern piece.

As it is pj’s and it is a side seam I would make them up any way. If it really bothers you possible re-cut to a smaller size?

How frustrating for you though!

Sorry not to be more help.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Mela, I’m so sorry about this. I just checked the pattern are you are correct that the notches don’t match up perfectly. They are just slightly off. Something seems to have happened to them during the grading, since the length of the pieces is ok and just the notches are wrong.

Thanks for pointing out this issue. We’ve issued an errata which is now available here, but that doesn’t help with the pjs you’ve already cut out and are making. For that, my sincere apologies!

LINK
    mela @mela

Liesl,

thank you so much for checking it out for me! I didn’t know if I was losing my mind. I was able to get a little more of the fabric (and on sale!), so I recut just the backs. I know I probably didn’t have to even do that, but I think I have a tendency to get lost in the details.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.