Oliver + S

Help! FedEx/ Kinkos won't print my 36" wide pattern due to copyright!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • LINK
    paula @paula

I just sent my large print to Kinkos and they will NOT print due to the copyright wording on page 3 of the pattern. I directed them to the wording in the Pattern Printing Instructions above on page 3, but they state that the copyright wording contradicts that info! They state that by paying them to print the page, they are violating that copyright. I stated that I purchased the right to have it printed and that I am not printing 10 off to sell to my friends, and they are not charging for the pattern, just for the print! I asked him how I am to afford a tens of thousands of dollars wide format printer for my own use… Then I asked if he suggest I find a printing service bureau that will print for free… He said yes!

Anyone else have trouble with this?

Is there any other documentation that I can bring in to have it printed??? He wants a statement from the company (totally unrealistic)!

Thanks!

p.s. I’ve had 3 other patterns printed there in the past with NO trouble!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Paula, I suggest you contact Oliver+s directly on this one.

There is a link at the bottom of the page.

How frustrating for you in the mean while.

LINK
    paula @paula

Thanks, Nicole. I’ve sent them an email. This whole fiasco is ridiculous!

LINK
    Todd Gibson
    Keymaster
    @todd

We have seen this issue a small number of times. If you should ever run into it yourself, just email us. We have a letter we can send you that will satisfy the printer. That’s what Paula did and she should be all set now.

LINK
    paula @paula

Thanks, Todd! I’m heading to pick up my print right now! You are such a wonderful company 🙂

LINK
    mlinton @mlinton

This is only semi related…are all the digital patterns supposed to be printed on 36″ x 48″ paper? (Not 24″ x 36″)? I don’t want to order this and then realize it’s scaled wrong!

In the future I’d love it if digital downloads could come with a separate 1 page pdf with the 36″ wide pattern. Most of the upload sites (staples, office depot, office max) require you to upload the whole pdf & then delete each page one by one. It’s a VERY SLOW process. Or, if anyone knows a handy shortcut (besides buying adobe acrobat so that I can edit pdfs), I’d love to hear any helpful tips.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Mlinton, I think that somewhere on the last page it tells you how long the large printed page is, or maybe in print Previewc of that page. Some are very long and some are shorter. Good luck and enjoy your pattern when you get it 🙂

LINK
    mlinton @mlinton

Thanks Heidi. You’re right – I found it in document properties. ~Michelle

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

How on earth did you figure out how to do this on their website? Would you please share? I spent several frustrating hours trying to upload my pattern to the staples online order site with no luck. Meanwhile, my digital patterns are just sitting somewhere in my computer gathering virtual dust. I’ve gained nothing from digital patterns bust exhaustion and would be ever so grateful if someone could tell me how to get the bloody thing printed!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Meleliza, is this helpful at all?

http://www.yellowpages.com/philadelphia-pa/blueprint-printing

I’d call the closest shop to you and tell them you want to print only the single large page at the end of a PDF and ask how much it would cost. That’s how I found the chaps in my city who printed mine for about $5-8 depending on the size. Explain what it’s for and that you need it to be full size, no scaling, and how they can check. My guys requested that I email them the file rather than bring it in on a thumb drive in person because that way they can schedule it along with their other jobs, rather than keep me waiting in the lobby. It’s pretty painless compared to dealing with a Staples clerk who is essentially some random person off the street.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Well, my architect neighbor told me where he gets his printed. And there are lots of print shops in a major city, obviously, if I felt like taking the hours it would take to call them all up and ask, I guess I would. The thing is, it’s been months and I just haven’t had the chance to get out for a few hours. It would make life easier if I could order it online. I tried the Kinkos website just now and it’s not possible there either. I guess I got excited when I saw online ordering of prints, but it clearly isn’t possible to do with these documents. Ugh! One of these days, I’ll spend a few hours on the phone to figure it out I suppose. But I’ve lost my window for making this skirt and I have other things I need to do now. I still argue that the paper pattern is way way faster. Sigh.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Why would you need to call them *all* up? Sorry, perhaps there’s a complexity I’m missing. Want to tell me which of the listed shops is conveniently located for you? I have a few minutes, I can call.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Incidentally, if this is one of those things where what you really want is sympathy rather than problem-solving, just let me know. Sometimes the issue isn’t that you need help, you just need an ear.

LINK
    mlinton @mlinton

Whoa, this is getting heated. I’m with meleiza, I prefer a physical pattern – especially since O+S pattern paper is indestructible. But I’ve long coveted the Sailboat and Jumprope patterns, and the recent sale is incentive to figure out how to print out the digital ones without taping.

Just to follow up, I made a few calls to get more info, and I’m glad I did. Turns out my closest Home Depot & Home Office don’t print that big. (The online ordering seemed to indicate otherwise.) Staples will print a 36 x 48 page for $6.59. Kinko’s prints on a 36″ wide roll for as long as needed and costs between $5-9 depending on how long the pattern page is. Since printer size can vary, it is probably worth calling to see what’s available.

Btw, all the places told me it is easier to bring a thumb drive with the PDF to print the last page. I mean, you are going to pick it up anyway. Fingers crossed for smooth sailing!

LINK
    Anonymous @

Hi mlinton 🙂 I pay less than $1.50 for a 36 x 48″ print at a local blueprint shop. You might try searching for engineering, technical, digital blueprints to see if you have a shop local to you where you could get a similar price. The place I use charges by the square ft and is so inexpensive. I never use Kinkos or Staples for any printing because they are so overpriced.

Also, I have a suggestion for breaking out a single page from a pdf to make it easier to upload only the large page for printing. I downloaded free software called PDF Split and Merge (pdfsam). It works really well. You can use it to combine multiple pdfs into one file, split into separate files, or take individual pages out and save them as a new file. You can even use a “visual” option to move, add, and delete pages by dragging and dropping thumbnails of each page. It works great.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.