Oliver + S

Heat set faux pearls for collar/neckline

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    lucegirlsart @lucegirlsart

Have any of you found a good source for the heat set pearls shown in one of the examples on the blog when this pattern released?

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Not online, no. But I’m sure I could recommend somewhere in my home city in Australia…

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I’ll look this up when I’m back in the studio tomorrow and give you details, ok? The gadget we used was recommended by a costume-making friend, and it worked really well!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Ok, our little gadget is called the BeJeweler. It comes with a variety of tips in different sizes so you can fuse crystals or hotfix pearls to fabric or a variety of other materials as well. A quick Google search showed that you can find the tool and the embellishments all over the place: Amazon, JoAnn, etc. Have fun!

LINK
    lucegirlsart @lucegirlsart

Thanks!

LINK
    buttonup @buttonup

The hot fix gems come in various sizes, 10, l6, 20, 34 (to name a few). What size would you recommend for the collar on the Playtime?

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

I added a crystal embellished, Peter Pan collar to the Playtime tunic. The tunic is black, lightweight, woven fabric and the collar is white with diamond crystals. I bought heat set crystals at WalMart. The sheet cost around $3. The simple directions are written on the back of the sheet. I used my iron to set the glue. After the crystals are set, they are impossible to remove. I traced the collar pattern piece, marked the seam allowances, and then embellished the fabric. After that I cut it out and sewed it. I have washed the top twice in regular laundry and the crystals have washed without incident. I can’t scrape or pry the crystals off the fabric.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Anyone else having childhood flashbacks to the bedazzler? 🙂

LINK
    mkhs @mkhs

I am finding that heat set crystals are the magic ingredient that make home-sewn clothes desirable to a preschooler! Hugely successful so far.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.