Oliver + S

Has anyone made the jacket out of Polartec or fleece?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    miss_sonja @miss_sonja

It’s not that I don’t want to sew with wool, but I have a messy 2 year old and I have a ton of fleece on hand.

Wondering how the sewing went making it with fleece, any tips welcome, so I can get off to a good start.

Thanks!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I have made it with a fleece interlining and it worked very well. I would be very happy to make it from fleece 🙂

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

By all means, sew it with fleece if that is what you have, but it is such a lovely sew and fleece doesn’t really wear that well….
    One thing to be aware of is that it is a pattern for a woven, not a knit so you will have to be careful for the pieces stretching out of shape.
    I wonder if pressing a strip of soft interfacing to the seam allowance before sewing would strengthen it and stop distortion.

I don’t want to sound ‘snobby’ about fleece, I used to use it but was disappointed in how it looked after a few washes and it doesn’t breathe like a nice wool coat will.

However, we have some fleece enthusiasts here so please share your experience if you do it.

I have a fleece project coming up soon, actually.

Good luck!

PS Definitely use a stretchy lining too.

LINK
    miss_sonja @miss_sonja

Ah, I hadn’t even thought about the knit vs. woven issue. See, this is why I ask before I cut!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I think if I was to sew a coat from fleece I would use a simple pattern with fewer seams.

Something like this https://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/sets/72157627425463919/

These patterns are very basic, mind. You will need to get your ‘O+S’ on in regard to clipping and grading seams there are no directions for that.
    However, with fewer seams and joins I think they could work better with fleece.

If you want to stay with O+S (and who could blame you) may I suggest the Nature Walk pullover? @sayiamyou made a gorgeous one for her daughter and I am soon to make one for Lidia. I have some heathered fleece that Liddy has fallen for and it will be nice and snuggly for netball practice.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Oh my goodness, that post took an hour to load!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.