Oliver + S

Hand and Machine Sewing–Book Recommendation?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • LINK
    purlknitpurl @purlknitpurl

I wanted to invest in a good “how to” book for sewing that includes some great illustrations/instructions for hand sewing, in addition to some good tutorials on machine sewing. Any recommendations? I’m an advanced beginner/beginner intermediate sewer with interests solely in making clothes (as opposed to quilting)! Thanks!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I hate to state the obvious……but how would Liesl’s DVD’s work for you? I am sorely tempted to purchase them.

I would check out second hand book shops,some of the old Readers Digest and Marshall Cavendish books are brilliant.

Something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marshall-Cavendish-illustrated-Encyclopaedia-Knitting/dp/B004VUUNXE

LINK
    purlknitpurl @purlknitpurl

Thanks, didn’t even think of the DVD’s. Appreciate it! Of course, Liesl’s patterns are so well written they are, along with my Local Fabric store, definitely teaching me to sew!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I think the Colette Patterns Sewing Handbook is very well put together. There are lots of clear photos and illustrations and it covers the basics of fitting – which I think is unique in beginner books. (I suppose many sewing books assume that you have to know how to put the garment together first and learn fit later? This approach worked for me as a teenager because I fit perfectly into the pattern sizes. But now it seems to me that you may as well learn how to fit right off the bat. After all, the sewing part is easy.) Without checking, I believe it covers some basic handstitches, but that is not the focus. It does show work you through chosing fabric and patterns, evaluating fit and finishes. I’m definately not a beginner, but I found lots of highly useful information and adivce that I’ve never seen discuseed elsewhere. It also comes with a few patterns!

Fit for Real People includes lots of sewing advice in addition to the thorough fitting help.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.