Oliver + S

Halloween 2015

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • LINK
    aprilshowers @aprilshowers

Has anyone started a Halloween thread yet? I can’t seem to find it.

My 6yo wants to be Demeter, the Greek goddess of agriculture. I thought, cool, thrifted sheet, some flowers for her hair and we’re good to go. But no, she has a different vision and it doesn’t involve a toga.

She would like a long flowy dress with gauzy fabric that flows from her neck/back to each arm. I am thinking I could do a floor-length Hopscotch dress with long sleeves. For the skirt, should I just continue the lines at the same angle to the length I want? Or can I increase the width at a faster rate to be more “flowy”? I’m thinking of attaching the gauzy “cape” (for lack of a better word) to the back waist seam and then sewing on bands to attach the ends to her wrists.

This kind of thing is not my forte, though, so I’d love to hear other peoples’ suggestions. Any other Greek goddesses or gods out there this year? What is everyone else being?

Laura

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

How about cutting a seam in the Hopscotch centre sleeve and adding the flowing fabric to that?

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I’ve got some great ideas, using Popover/badminton/swingset/garden party dresses as the base. I love working out how to make what’s in kids imaginations 🙂 Off to draw some pictures then I’ll be back.

LINK

I’ve got enthused. I’ve drafted a doll version of the below dress based on the dolls Popover dress:)
    goddess dress idea

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

@aprilshowers firstly, that is one fabulous idea for a costume. What a smart kid.
    I’d start with a raglan sleeve pattern and then cut and split the front and back and sleeves to widen them. Then use elastic inside a casing around the neck to bring it all back in.
    The art smock in Little Things To Sew is much like this. Or you could do it with the Field Trip t-shirt.
    Once the pattern is widened, but still square, then I’d slash and spread in one or two places from the hemline to give it more A line fullness from the bottom. You could make a more bell sleeve by doing a similar thing to the sleeve.
    Or I’m sure there are free downloadable peasant dresses on the web that are similar! 🙂

LINK
    aprilshowers @aprilshowers

Okay, okay, this is getting the creative juices flowing. Thank you! I’m off to the fabric store today to see what I can find. Thank goodness my other daughter decided to be Hermione so we can use last year’s Harry Potter costume 🙂

For the record, here is her vision

demeter

LINK

Now I can definitely see why you are thinking hopscotch dress! I agree:)
    For the drapes you could attach them at the back before you add the neck binding, although this may pull the neck backwards. I would be tempted to add a seam to the back of the dress, in line with the armhole notches and sew the drape in there.
    This would allow it to hang down her back out of the way, provided they are not longer than the dress, when she doesn’t want them attached to her arms.
    To attach the drapes to her arms I would be tempted to gather the fabric edge and attach it to a hair lacky/hair tie/piece of elastic. This should make it easy for her to get on and off herself.
    Thanks for all the inspiration. I love the different interpretations of the verbal descriptions, but seeing her beautiful picture it is now very easy to make the outcome match her vision.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Could you finish the neckline and wrists with bias (or jersey equivalent) and tuck the edges of the scarf-like bit in there?

LINK
    juliamom2009 @juliamom2009

My kid is going to be Word Girl (a cartoon that I actually LOVE) and I’d love some advice on her cape….if you look at the photo I’ve attached, I’m not sure if the yellow around the neck of the top is supposed to be part of her cape?

This will be a super simple costume to make….mostly – once I figure out the cape/neckline!

Any advice?

LINK
    Jane @jesims

@juliamom2009 I found this pic of word girl, I would say the yellow piece is definitely her cape.

Attachments:
    LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

@juliamom2009 janice that cape is a monster size version of the messy kid bib from Little Things To Sew, worn backwards. Because the fastening is off set to one side it shouldn’t be too visible from the front.
    Hope that helps as an idea.

LINK

Thanks @jesims – definitely! And @lightningmcstitch such a smart idea – I never would have thought of that!! Off to make a giant Messy Kid Bib!

LINK
    Jane @jesims

We, as a family, are going to be characters from Big Hero 6. P will be Honey Lemon, my son, Zach will be Hiro, hubby will be BayMax and somehow it got voted that I be Go Go Tomago. I bought a black unitard (and some extra spanx to wear under it). I bought some red F.O.E. To add the red detail onto the costume, I’m just not sure what the best way to attach the F.O?E. To the unitard might be. Please help!

Jane

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Jane.
    Attachments:
    LINK
    Jillls @Jillls

My girls are going to be Elsa and Anna this year. I had to muddle through two separate Simplicity patterns. “Elsa” is in adults sizes but still shaped like a kid and “Anna” was just one size too big for the little girl patterns. Bodice muslins were my friends. Oliver and S needs to make a V waist dress pattern. That work work great for many of the Disney princesses. My son is going as Stampy Cat(Minecraft).

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Jillls.
    LINK

The kid’s costume got completed this morning….at about 5:30 a.m.! She had a Halloween costume parade at her school, where the kindergarten kids wear their costumes for all the older kids. As they were lining up, Julia was checking out the other costumes – she pulled me aside and said “Mom, I think all these people BOUGHT these costumes….don’t their moms want to sew for their kids?” – seriously, she was really sad for the other kids!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.