Oliver + S

Great British Sewing Bee

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • LINK
    scgoble @scgoble

I was just introduced to this series today – it’s AWESOME! In the US, you can view it on YouTube:

I’m not sure whether other countries can view full episodes on the official website, but it airs on BBC Two.

I like this so much more than Project Runway, it’s such a wonderful concept.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

This looks so fun!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Ooh, going to watch this tonight. Thanks!

LINK
    Tassiemum @Tassiemum

I just watched the first episode. Loved it so much. Brilliant.

LINK
    bren5kids @bren5kids

This is wonderful! It combines two of my greatest loves-sewing and all things British. (Those accents…like candy for the ears :-D) Thanks for posting !

LINK
    dubhels2003 @dubhels2003

I thought for quite a while before posting this as i have mixed views about the show and I didn’t want to put people off watching or offend anyone, but it is only a TV show and we can all have different opinions can’t we?!

The series format is based on a HUGELY popular show called The Great British Bake Off, which lasts for about 12 episodes as opposed to the Sewing Bee’s 4. I really wasn’t sure how the format would work, but it does, however the short run means you are far less emotionally caught up in the contestants. I suppose if this brief run was successful they will have a longer run.

I love the fact that sewing has been aired on the beeb, but the programme really focused on dressmaking (and embellishing clothes) as a skill, rather than much broader sewing skills, so I find the title slightly misleading. I would love to see some more creative textiles on there. I find the ridiculously short slot on making something deeply annoying, probably because the glib 1 minute on how to make a cushion cover etc feels like a pointless filler, but that’s probably in part because I would be happy making one anyway, and would prefer some more skills to be shown.

Unlike the Bake Off, I find the time pressure doesn’t translate so well to sewing. Yes we probably all so under pressure sometimes, but part of the joy is also being able to take more time, which you don’t really get to do when baking, so I’m not sure the format entirely translates.

That said, I really enjoyed watching it, hope more people have a go at sewing as a result of the programme, and I hope it gets recommissioned for a longer run. It is definitely better than some of the horrifically twee craft programmes that I have suffered recently!

I wont spoil the winner, other than to say I thought they deserved to win! I hope you all enjoy the rest of the series.

Helena (rant over…)

LINK
    Todd Gibson
    Keymaster
    @todd

Did you know that there’s a little, tangential Oliver + S connection to the show? (Well, really little but everyone wants to bask in someone else’s moment in the spotlight, right?)

Lauren is an owner of Guthrie & Ghani in Birmingham (http://www.guthrie-ghani.co.uk/). And she’s carried Oliver + S patterns in her shop since they opened. So congrats to Lauren from all of us!

And, for those of you living in the UK, the BBC has just put out a call for contestants on season 2. Come on, give it a go. Make all of us in the forums proud!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/shows/beonashow/great_british_sewing_bee

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

I watched 2 episodes last night and stayed awake way too late. I agree about the time issue. I think a good sewer doesn’t rush. I sort of wish time wasn’t an element. I wish the participants talked more about their techniques. I think the show (so far) demonstrates that the people with the most experience are the best. The people with mothers and grandmothers who sewed have the best techniques. I bet the woman who has sewn an hour a day for 75 years will win.

I read Gertie’s blog right before watching a she demonstrates using tissue paper to stabilize silk and chiffon for cutting and sewing and then ripping the tissue paper away. They used those fabrics to make a blouse in the second episode and and many of the sewers had difficulty with the fabrics.

LINK
    Jillls @Jillls

I loved the series and cried during the finale. I found that once contestants were eliminated, there was more time to show more of the sewing process among the remaining players. It looks like there will be a season 2.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I hope it comes here,to ABC,the only channels we get in the sticks!

LINK
    bren5kids @bren5kids

You know, when I saw the pocket that Lauren put on her dress I thought, “hmm.. I wonder if she got that idea from an Oliver & S pattern”.

I also wish they wouldn’t rush the contestants so. The ability to complete a project quickly does not mean you are a good seamstress. I know alot of people who can sew a dress much faster than myself, but I would much rather wear my finished creation than theirs. Some people simply don’t work well under pressure, so if they had a little more time I think their skills would be more accurately displayed.

All that said, I enjoyed watching the episodes immensely. And have wasted a little too much time and stayed up way too late watching them!

LINK
    scgoble @scgoble

I think what I like most about it is that it’s such a good-natured sort of competition. No fake drama. At least, not what I have seen!

LINK
    Sewnsew @Sewnsew

I absolutely loved this show!! My only complaint: I wish it was longer than 4 weeks long!

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

Nicole, I watched it on the computer. I don’t think it is broadcast here in Virginia. I loved watching it. I agree about the time constraints, I could never complete anything in the amount of time they had. I think the winner would have won even if it was not timed, though.

LINK
    dubhels2003 @dubhels2003

If you enjoyed the format of this show and enjoy baking, the original show The Great British Bake Off starts a new series tonight. It’s great, with the same pleasantness between the contestants. Apologies for taking this off on a non-sewing tangent!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.