Oliver + S

Getting your sew-jo back

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • LINK
    scgoble @scgoble

It’s been quite a while since I sewed anything in earnest; probably was the beginning of December. I try not to give myself a hard time about it – I find that seeing others’ projects can sometimes be a burden. Like, why is everyone else finding the time to make these beautiful garments and all I’ve done is watch Sabrina the Teenage Witch?! It starts to become stressful, like a to-do list I can’t seem to get finished. So I just try to step back and remind myself that this is supposed to be a fun hobby, not something I *have* to do.

But I am an anxious person by nature so that’s just me.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

What about giving yourself a little time to indulge in some Pinterest surfing? Not even necessarily sewing related. Searching for color schemes and spring decorating might give you ideas. Otherwise, I think a fabric shopping trip is in order. Browse some things in person and just buy what speaks to you.

LINK
    bren5kids @bren5kids

For me, browsing thru my stash and petting fabric usually does the job 🙂

Brenda

LINK
    marycds @marycds

I keep a file on my computer I call ” Inspirations”. I copy and paste pictures where ever I find them. When I need inspiration I go to my “Inspiration” folder.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

“why is everyone else finding the time to make these beautiful garments and all I’ve done is watch Sabrina the Teenage Witch?!” Haha!! Yes, I get that too, especially when some of our ladies here are so super productive and they have a lot more kids than I do!

LINK
    dubhels2003 @dubhels2003

I browse my craft cupboard and stroke fabric. If it really has been a while and I can’t get motivated then I do something really small and simple, like a small felt Christmas Tree decoration or a ‘free with a magazine’ creation. It helps break the barren period somehow and gets me going again.

I am relieved that some people are as good at wasting time as I am, only it’s less Sabrina and more Murder She Wrote for me *the shame of it!

LINK
    carol @carol

I have been so busy since the holidays that I had no real sewing (sitting at the sewing machine kind of sewingi) time. This made me really want to get to it; which I did this week. I feel great and have two dresses for my wonderful granddaughter. Now I have all the stuff I put off to get done but it seems to work for me.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Well, I am about to get my sew-jo back. I have felt dismal because I haven’t sewn enough. Sewing makes me happy and keeps the blues away.

In mid December I sewed a woodland cape for someone, but nothing I liked, or pretty, or anything. I made it for the girl with the sensory issues and she loves it! Yay! But all I could think while sewing it was she picked out stuff that an old lady would like. Blah!

But today, I just got a notice that my Sarah Jane Wee Wander fabric that I preordered has been shipped. Now I have to decide which dress, the birthday party or the family reunion. I haven’t made the birthday party yet, so that may be the go to choice. Plus it is sleeveless, which means it can be a winter jumper and a summer dress, sans t shirt.

And I feel good that my daughter keeps asking when I will make a new dress for her. She loves and appreciates it. She’s four. I will bask in that until the horrid day comes where what I make is no longer acceptable. And then I will curl up in a little ball and cry. 😉

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

cybele, I feel your pain. Also, I have a stack of 1-yard cuts of special fabric that need to get made up NOW while they’re still usable for something besides quiltmaking. So, so, so happy that it still does not really occur to her that clothes are something you buy in a store rather than something you describe to your mother for her to make. She’s been to Mood many times but has not, I think, ever been in a clothing store.

LINK
    dubhels2003 @dubhels2003

I have just re-read this discussion as I have been struggling to find my sew-jo for weeks. I’ve been looking at flickr, looking through books, have bits and bobs cut out, have one or two UFIs that probably will have to be wait to be worn by the bump now, rather than the toddler, but I still can’t get motivated. Help!!

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

Dubhels2003, how about a quick and easy project for instant gratification? That often helps me.

Cybele – I am also dreading the day. My oldest went through a lengthy phase, around 2, where she didn’t want to wear what I had made. But that phase happily passed and now she is always asking me to make her stuff. She also doesn’t ask me to buy clothes – but when she sees something she likes she asks me to make it for her.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Right now, she thinks catalogues are for picking out what mommy will make next. It is never, can you buy that, but can you make that for me? I will take it. Once she’s in school, I am sure that she will either preen over her handmade clothes and make everyone else jealous, or she will be embarrassed. There seems to be no in between about clothes.

Now, as for getting the sew-jo back? Hmmm… I am all for the following… a quick and easy project for gratification, or the fabric. What often remotivates me is fabric calling out to be made. Search fabric websites, look until something screams out… :MAKE ME INTO SOMETHING. MAKE. MAKE.:

That often does it for me.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Dubhels2003 you have a bump too? Fabulous congratulations!

I am thinking maybe whipping up a hat or a small gift for a child’s birthday or those wonderful little balls in the little things to sew book would be great starter offers. They are all useful and won’t be just there collecting dust.

I have the ordeal of piling up wanted fabric into the virtual shopping trolley and then feeling so guilty over my “need” I back out. But I agree it is the perfect way to reinvigorate your sew-jo.

I also like to revisit my stash – reorganise, sit and look and feel the fabric and that helps get me dreaming of projects and all inspired again too. I try not to cut things out these days that I don’t end up sewing because I have piles of half made things already that I have lost interest in. Try not to do that if you can because it just clutters up the space despite the fact it could make you look and feel organised.

I like to mix up my projects a bit. Skip from garment sewing to something else sewing. Maybe try a bit of hand embroidery to get you into the mood to move to the machine. You could embroider a tea party bodice for bump and then finish it off at the machine. Hand embroidery is still classified as sewing!

Worth a try don’t you think?

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Don’t forget that sometimes it’s just worth accepting that you don’t feel like it and give yourself permission to do something else, read all the way through a book, sit on the floor and play, cook fun stuff like cake and cookies, visit someone, have coffee . . .

And one day it will come back with vengeance 🙂

Also time away may allow you to see if there’s a block stopping your sewing.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I must admit I am a bit of a ‘Just Do It’ girl. Usually I get caught up in what I am doing but if I don’t I say to myself ‘I will sew for an hour or 1/2 hour and if I am not enjoying it, stop’

Pinterest is an awesome way to fill in afternoon pregnant pauses too.

When are you due? Personally, when I start thinking about how little time I have left before my baby is born I get a spur on.

At least at the moment it is quiet and happy!

As Heidi says, be kind to yourself.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.