Oliver + S

Getting your sew-jo back

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I’ve spent a bit of time ironing, cleaning up thread fluff, putting all my tools back in a tidy row, etc. in hopes of reviving my sewing mojo. What do you do to light the spark when you’re feeling a little off your game?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

If I really don’t feel like doing something, anything, cleaning the fridge, playing snakes and ladders for the 10th time today or even sewing, I pretend I am being employed and paid to do it. Then I do the absolutely best job I can do. Uber fussy, it seems to kick in my (abandoned) inner perfectionist.

Or make a project you really want to do, whatever the practicality, just sew something lovely!

Or knit, or leave it and read a good book.

~Nicole~

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I love to look at the high-end clothing stores for little ones, this helps and looking through all my wonderful girlfriends flicker photos! Next sewing something not needed but something you have wanted to try for a long time. It always works for me.

~Sharon~

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

These are some great ideas, thank you ladies. I might try a bit of each — a bit of fussiness, a bit of virtual window-shopping, a bit of letting something I want to do jump the queue ahead of stuff I ‘need’ to do.

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

I usually browse sewing blogs, patterns and my favorite online fabric shops and fill up my Pinterest boards. And if I really feel like I am done sewing for awhile, I do what you did and clean up my space. That usually helps entice me back within a few days.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Just so long as the sew jo doesn’t go kaput right in the middle of a project. Then you would run the risk of the dreaded UFO! If this is the case I just force myself to push through and reward myself with the project I have been dreaming of. Precisely what I plan to do once this dreaded table runner is done!

Making lists and sticking to them doesn’t really keep the sew jo in check but it does allow you choice and therefore you have the choice to choose something on the list that gets you in the mood to sew. I am a big list maker and I do pick from the list especially when I am lost in the rut of indecision.

LINK
    Robin @Robin

Are there things you want to show Liesl when you meet her? Feel the need to make an Everyday

Skirt in Nani Iro? Do you have a darling pouch to put sewing tools in? Already traced your pattern and drawn in the seam allowances?

This is ridiculous, can you tell I’m excited for you?

LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

I stick with a pattern I’ve made before and love so I’m guaranteed a good result.

Or, what Nicole says…something I WANT to make regardless of its usefulness.

And, a good audiobook keeps me in motion.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Haha Robin! You’re awesome!

The audiobook suggestion reminded me to put on some music — my stereo equipment is still in storage while I try to sort out the right combination of furniture and stabilization tricks to protect it from toddler dance parties, so I keep forgetting that I do have alternative methods of playing music. The list and Pinterest ideas are great too — a way of organizing exciting ideas so I can dip back into them when I need a perk-me-up.

LINK
    Jane @jesims

I find I lose my sew-jo in the winter months. I would much rather curl up with a good book and a cup of coffee under a blanket until it starts getting warm again. If humans could hibernate I’d be the first one asleep. 🙂

I am already starting to plan my spring and summer projects. I love to sew summer dresses. I just bought some of the new Lisette lawn the other day with hopes to get my sew-ho reignited.

Jane

LINK
    mkhs @mkhs

If I’m having a hard time getting motivated to sew, I often find that I’m in just the right frame of mind for cutting. I’m a fabric scrooge and also usually sew from my stash, so cutting can involve some mental gymnastics with pattern layouts!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Sarvi, on toddler proofing a stereo, I remember seeing a number of years ago at a friends house, the stereo in a playpen! They lived in a very small house and the babies room doubled as the living room. So there was a playpen in the corner with the stereo in it and a small table for hot drinks. This kept both these things out of reach/harms way but the toddler had full access to the rest of the room. I have this stored away in case I ever need to do a modified version for my sewing machines! 😉

LINK
    Robin @Robin

I’m thinking back to my mom and her friend who visited together most evenings. Sewing didn’t happen in the winter. Winter was for knitting and crocheting. They also played more games in the winter like Scrabble, 10,000 and Rummoli with husbands and children.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Doing something sewing-related like cutting or tempting myself with special fabric + a tried-and-true pattern are great ideas, too.

The games and knitting sounds wonderfully cozy. One of these days I’ll actually figure out if our fireplace is functional. A fire and some yarn sounds like just the ticket.

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

I like to look through pattern books. I just got my first Japanese book –translated into English. I haven’t sewn from it yet, but I’m ready to add seam allowances and try to stumble through. After a dozen or so O + S patterns, I think I know enough to do it. Meanwhile I look and dream.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.