Oliver + S

General book posts

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Hello, I got my book today. I live a mere 3 hours from the distribution center, so it did not have far to travel.

I just did a quick peruse and wow… this is great!

This shows so much about lengthening, shortening and spreading. Changing silhouettes, finishes and details and pockets and so much more.

Sewists, Oh my! There is so much to learn and try and do just from a quick pre child-bedtime perusal. To be certain it is “hard” work, in the sense that it will be time consuming to truly draft your own pattern from a simple block dress pattern. But it is not difficult, just time consuming while you learn how to do all this great stuff.

But honestly, most of the principles of drafting are generally useful for dress patterns, not just children’s dresses. It is more the scale of the change rather than the change being unique to children sizing (with the exception of the bust).

Clearly the only limit will be our imaginations.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Exactly! This is what’s so difficult to convey about the book. I may need you all to help me explain it to others, ok? A women’s book will obviously deal more with bust darts and dart manipulation, but otherwise most of the material in the book can be applied to all sorts of projects. And I think you might be surprised at how quickly you can make changes to the pattern once you have a little experience doing it. xo

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I have just ordered my book – I am now wishing we could adopt the US currency to skip out on the expensive exchange rate – I know this book will be worth every cent of the almost $70 Australian dollars I spent just now – 😱 And I am very much looking forward to having it in my hot little hands.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Ugh, @justsewit, I’m so sorry about the cost! I do hope it will be every bit worth it. I certainly wrote it intending it to be that way. Thanks for trusting me!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Thanks for the heads up Tamara! I agree it will be worth every dollar, but will have to wait until next payday 🙁
    I’m really looking forward to the book, when in the mood I really enjoy pattern manipulation, and I think my nieces will all be getting “beautiful dresses” for Christmas 🙂

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

How long until pay day, Heidi? Because I’d hate for you to miss out on the Facebook group. We’ll be doing lots here and on the blog, too, but the live stuff works best on FB.

LINK
    Renee @Renee

Ouch, the cost of shipping is more than the price of the book to send it to Malaysia. I’ll buy the book regardless..but I’m canvasing around to see if anyone I know locally would like to buy the book too, to share in the shipping cost.

LINK
    Suzanne Paul @theartsypaul

Is there a basic pattern that comes in the book?

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Next week 🙁
    I might have a good look and see if I can make it work before the Facebook deadline.

LINK
    Todd Gibson
    Keymaster
    @todd

@theartsypaul yes there is. It’s called the Building Block Dress. If you look at some of the recent blog posts on the book, you’ll see it discussed there.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

@Liesl no worries! We had enjoyed exchanges rate well past parity for a good while that now that we aren’t it seems a hard slog to make the decision. This is an absolute no brainer!

@renee
    I had to laugh at the express postage being about $76 US ! To get to Australia in like 3 days! I am happy to wait a little while because it is worth the wait and I have other things to complete. And with the way Australia post deals with parcels to the west these days it will be a bit of a wait (thankyou Australia Post for your on foot trek with my parcels across the desert!)

@withloveheidi I didn’t choose the cheapest postage, just the second cheapest if this helps. Isn’t your birthday coming up soon?😉

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I opened my email up this morning to a wonderful surprise of a copy of this book is only one post office stop away from our town!! Now I am too excited to go back to sleep!! This is the best news I have received in a while!!

LINK
    avashmava @avashmava

Mine is very nearby, too! Yayy! I can’t wait to get it!

LINK
    avashmava @avashmava

It came, it came! I live in Dallas and my book arrived today! It looks just beautiful! Todd & Liesl, how you must get a special thrill seeing S in the book….tell her she looks lovely!

Now to finish up our school day so I can start reading! 😀

LINK
    JEB O’Barr @markjebobarr@hotmail.com

I love the book! It came to Montgomery, Alabama, today. I wish I had had it, when my girls were little. I know I will still get a lot of use from it. Can’t wait for the women’s book now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.