Oliver + S

French seams for the side seam?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

I wonder if anyone has tried French seams. It is a gradual curve, and I’m hoping it would work without puckering. (I’ve read the tut.)

Advice?

LINK
    mkhs @mkhs

I have, on several I’ve made using my husband’s shirts (beards are rough on collars!). I’ve used both linen and cotton shirting– lightweight stuff. On flannel tops I’ve finished the edges with pinking or zigzag stitches– too thick for French seams.

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

It came out great. I love a finished seam. I used a good quality quilting cotton, and the seam wasn’t bulky at all.

LINK
    Jennifer @jennifer

Hi Maggie
    Just confirming, you used French seams on the class picnic blouse? I am struggling to think how to do them on the side seams given the sleeves are already attached.

Thank you!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Hi Jennifer I can confirm that French seams can be done on the side seams as I have done them myself. I did a 1/4 inch wrong sides together then trimmed to 1/8inch, pressed the seam and turned the whole side through to the inside pinned and stitched again using a 1/4 inch seam. The fact that the arm and body are intact should not make a difference to how you do the french seam. If there is a slight curve at the intersection of the sleeve and bodice, then I would suggest tiny little clips on the first round only and it should release it.

I too would love to know if Maggie did the French seams and her method if it was any different.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.