Oliver + S

Fleece or fleece lined leggings?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • LINK
    kgiff @kgiff

Has anyone attempted to make warmer leggings? My daughter’s preschool goes out pretty much everyday and she refuses to wear anything other than leggings or yoga pants. She’s already complaining about cold legs, so I’m trying to figure out options. I don’t think fleece has much wind resistance on it’s own, but wonder if it would still help to keep her warm.Would they be too bulky in fleece? Thanks in advance!

• This topic was modified 9 years ago by kgiff.
    LINK
    honeymadeit @honeymadeit

I put thermal pants (like pj pants) under GD’s leggings. She always has odd pairs from the hand me downs from her cousins. We don’t get enough really cold weather here to make lined pants worth the time. I may do a couple pair this year with it being extra cold.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

As long as your fabric has enough stretch it should be fine. Mood had a really interesting fleece the other day that looked like ponte on the face but had that nice soft fleece on the back of it. Something like that would be great, provided it stretches enough. Especially the leg openings, to get over feet.

LINK
    mkhs @mkhs

I haven’t done the playtime leggings in anything other than cotton knit, but I’ve made up the nature walk yoga pants in a ton of different fabrics– stretch denim, jersey, Polartec fleece, cotton sweatshirt fleece. I know that Polartec does make a windproof fleece– I haven’t tried to buy it by the yard, I have some outdoor gear that my in-laws don’t use anymore and gave to me to re-use.

LINK
    Inder @Inder

I like this idea. I was considering Nature Walk pants for Maggie in pink sweatshirt fleece – poly fleece would be even warmer! I think the big thing for leggings is that the fabric needs to be pretty stretchy and have good recovery (snap back) – otherwise you’ll either have difficulty getting them on and moving, or you’ll have baggy knees and butt.

LINK
    kgiff @kgiff

Thanks everyone! I wasn’t thinking about recovery, but that’s a good point!

@Lisel that fabric at mood sounds perfect! I wish I was closer, I like to shop by touch, buying online is so hard.

The nature walk pants sound like a good idea too… and the perfect excuse to buy a new pattern 😛

LINK
    Marion @Marmeum

I really like PT Powerstretch for warm leggings, long underwear etc. It is very comfortable against the skin. It can be seen at Peak Fabric’s online store, but I’m sure there are many sources .

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Don’t forget wool!
    You can buy jumpers (sweaters) from Op Shops and cut them up and sew leggings from them.

LINK
    honeymadeit @honeymadeit

Nicole, that sounds like a good idea. Would you use them like when you upcycle a tee or do you have to do something to make sure they don’t run or unravel?

LINK
    kgiff @kgiff

I was going to ask the same thing as honeymadeit. I actually have a couple of sweaters in the upcycle pile, but I’m not sure what to do with the edges when I cut into it or how to finish the seams.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I can tell you what I do, I am not sure if it is the proper way.
    Lay your garment out and let it relax. Trace the pattern piece on to the garment, a sharpie is good.
    Try snipping somewhere, not needed, on the garment and see how fast it unravels. If it is not too bad, cut and sew promptly. If it frays a lot, cut, zigzag edges first and then sew together. If it frays like the billy-oh, zigzag over the sharpie traced line and then cut.

I hope that is some help.

LINK
    honeymadeit @honeymadeit

Thank you that sounds like good advise. Now, too visit the resale shop for some sweaters.

LINK
    scgoble @scgoble

I wear these kind of leggings almost every day – I’m wearing them right now! Hopefully the attached will show you what the two sides of the fabric look like. I did a quick search and found yardage here: http://www.nancysnotions.com/product/kelly+polartec+power+stretch+fabric.do

Attachments:
    LINK
    beachmom @beachmom

Polartec Power Stretch fabric is awesome! That’s what all my winter running clothes are made from.;)

LINK
    kgiff @kgiff

@Nicole your method makes a lot of sense.

Thanks everyone I have some options to look into. And I’ve also found some thicker knits that might be more winter appropriate as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.