Oliver + S

Fitting pencil skirts?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I am thinking of the Attache, since I have that pattern already, but am wondering if there are any tips or tutes for this kind of fitting. My copy of Fit for Real People has taken a walk to somewhere, I’m not sure where, so I’m hoping somebody here can help me find a good resource to get started. I found a piece of wool suiting I really like and I’d love a skirt that fits my pronounced shape (6 inch difference between my natural and dropped waist), and I also prefer a longer skirt length than I ever seem to be able to find.

LINK
    Robin @Robin

Sarvi, have you tried making a muslin of this pattern yet? For skirts I play with the darts until I get a fit that I like. I can’t remember, is there a lengthening line on this skirt?

And I don’t think that there’s a lot of fitting advice for skirts in FFRP. I’ll have look for you though.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Thank you! I have not, I’m hoping to draft next week. I have one more project to finish first and I have to put my pattern brain on since I need to figure out how to get the pleats I want out of a limited amount of fabric. Hoping to jump right into this afterward while my pattern brain is still ‘hot’.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I have not made a pencil skirt for years, I used to wear them a lot.

I do remember being giving the tip that the skirt should hit your derrière and then travel down, not tuck underneath.

LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

Yep, don’t be afraid to muslin. Mom has been making pencil skirts for my work wardrobe from an old Simplicity pattern. To get a good fit (I’m short) we had to do a bit of adjusting. Also, there was an issue of having a wrinkle in the front about at the level of my hip bones. We ended up just pinching it out of the pattern like you do a sway back adjustment. If you run across a better way…I’d love to hear about it. Oh, and my pattern has a facing that we interfaced that does a nice job on sucking you in straight.

LINK
    Robin @Robin

Hi Sarvi, There is a chapter on skirt fitting. It does talk about adjusting darts to get the kind of fit you are looking for.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Nicole, a skirt that tried to get under my derriere would soon regret the decision!

Thank you so much for all these great tips. Have sent the blouse pattern off to the printer and will trace the skirt today. Gracias!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.