Oliver + S

Finishing the vest seam allowances

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    sallycsklarsky @sallycsklarsky

Does anyone have suggestions on how to finish the seam allowances on the quilted vest? Since they’ll show, I like them to look nice. This is the second time I’ve made this; the first time, I think I just did a simple zig-zag.

Often I just fold under the raw edge, but the quilting will make it too thick for that. I’m considering using some of the bias binding to bind the seams. What do you all think?

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

You could bind the shoulder seams, or I’ve shown here how I undid a bit of the quilting to tuck the edge under.
    http://bartacksandsingletrack.blogspot.com.au/2013/07/a-pattern-to-make-product-to-be-proud-of.html

LINK
    sallycsklarsky @sallycsklarsky

Thank you! I thought I had seen it somewhere.

I noticed you used hair elastic / bands instead of 1/4″ elastic for the vest. How did you get that sewn in? I was hoping to do that same trick, but envision either the needle piercing the elastic (and then the rubber band just breaks) or the needle completely missing the elastic and then it pulls right out.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

By the time you baste the elastic then stitch the binding twice you’ll have no control as to whether you pierce the elastic or not.
    I have no recollection of any problems with breakage or pulling loose, and tge coat was fine to be handed down once outgrown.
    Use a short stitch length to attach them initially, then do the binding part as normal.
    Good luck.

LINK
    Emily @eboyd83

I used binding on the vest to cover the raw edges. Also I use jam snaps to secure the vest into the jacket.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.