Oliver + S

Favorite stash busters?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I’ve been using fabrics that seem less enchanting to me now than when I bought them as a sort of ‘muslin’ — and if the construction actually turns out well the first time I try it, hey, bonus: I’ve got a real garment. I’m also trying to line everything I can line, and in extremity, I will just grind out a bunch of bias tape. I’ve been thinking a simple crayon roll might also make a good stash buster. What do you turn to when you really, really want to stop looking at that fabric that you thought was just this side of too cute, but is, in the harsh light of day, on the other side?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I have made meat bags, but unless you kill your own stock thats not much use to you!

One year I made simple draw string bags to put presents in and that went down well ( instead of wrapping)

(ps I had the prettiest carcass bags)

LINK
    claireabel @claireabel

I tend to have the opposite problem, fabric that is waiting in my cupboard for the *perfect* pattern (just used one of my faves, will pop it on Flickr tomorrow).

But to answer your question, art smocks and aprons are good stash busters – doesn’t matter if you don’t love the fabric as it gets covered in gunk anyway.

LINK
    janimal @janimal

I’m getting together with a friend to have a mini “Sewathon” where we will just crank out reusable fabric giftbags. She’s planning on using a bunch for Christmas gifts. I’d like to use some of my stash to keep on hand for birthday presents throughout the year. Also, some giftbags to hold bottles of wine.

With scraps, I’m making easy coasters. I have a bunch of thick fleece 6′ squares cut. So when I have scraps, I cut them also into squares and with the fleece make simple and quick fabric coasters. A bunch of them wrapped together can be a cute little hostess gift.

Oh, and I also like to make fabric giftcard holders. Just a nice way to package a giftcard that makes it a bit more personal, and they can be used as business card holders later. I have a tutorial on my blog to make them at http://www.delilahsmomma.blogspot.com

Oh, one other OBVIOUS answer – the Lazy Days Skirt! For my toddler, just a 12′ cut can sew up into a simple skirt in about 20 minutes. A girl can’t have too many skirts, and it’s so easy. For me this is the perfect project when I have limited time but feel the need to FINISH something when I emerge from my sewing room. And with fancy ribbon for the hem, you can really dress up a fabric you feel “meh” about.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

You know, I’ve never made a Lazy Days skirt? How weird is that, it’s the easiest item, and I’ve never even tried it. I could also make up a whole bunch of little treat bags since my daughter’s birthday is coming up. Thanks, everyone, lots of cool ideas!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.